TANKS MODELS AN WHERE DO YOU PUT THEM WHEN FINISHED

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS im not a tank modellers although ive built two tigers many moons ago an they were remote control an I had immense enjoyment whatchin them go over a rough course
but my question is I see you guys build loads of tank models an I just wondered where you put them on show as it seem to me you all must have some long shelf 's ?
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL come on guys lets see your pics to this question ?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
depends on the kits.......a lot get put in storage boxes to keep them safe.......til one day when i get somewhere to display them all

i do have one of these on the wall of the hobby room....want another cos this one is full since i took the pic

mod10.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well that's a start Paul thank you their are some very nice models in the case :thumb2:
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The advantage of military vehicles compared to, say, aircraft is that they’re mostly rectangular when you look at them from above. In other words: you can put them together on a shelf with much less wasted space :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
No one I know is interested in my stuff and possibly even think it weird for me to be model making as an adult. So, apart from my personal favourites, most of my models go into boxes and up in the loft they go. Probably never to be seen again.

So a photo of a spider infested attic will be of no interest.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The advantage of military vehicles compared to, say, aircraft is that they’re mostly rectangular when you look at them from above. In other words: you can put them together on a shelf with much less wasted space :smiling3:
Point taken Jakko an I would just like to see some pics of the tanks some of the guys on here made on their display shelfs

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
As no one I know is interested in my stuff and possibly think it sort of weird to me to be model making as an adult, all my models goes into boxes and up in the loft they go- Probably never to be seen again.

So a photo of a spider infested attic will be of no interest.
HI Ron I for one like all models on here that ive seen an its not weird to build models as you are an adult. I have been building models all my life an still am I don't term myself weird in fact you are building something an it keeps you an me happy to see what you have made an at least now I know where you put your models. As I have not many models planes at the moment but I have them on show on a shelf over the tv an when visitors come they often exsclaim oh what some nice models an they have a good look at them an even video them with their phones so that alone makes it worthwhile an regards your models its sad if you don't show them off an they are never seen again
Chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Point taken Jakko an I would just like to see some pics of the tanks some of the guys on here made on their display shelfs
Here you go:

image.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now that's more like it Jakko that what I was on about seein the models on show an that linghtning was a cracker of a build even though you had a few small prob s with it an a very nice tank line up an that tank at the back second left with the big slab sideded turret must have been quite a target in real its a Russian isn't it ?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Exactly the same as Ron. I have over 500 tanks in the attic, all diecast. As and when I finish a model it's boxed up and added to the pile.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My entire man cave is currently in the loft....waiting for a move. Should move out in about two weeks, then in two weeks after that.....then it will be on to the decorating circuit.... I really don’t know what you lot are moaning about LOL...
Mind you, the new cave is about twelve foot square, so should be a great improvement on the current six by five cupboard....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Exactly the same as Ron. I have over 500 tanks in the attic, all diecast. As and when I finish a model it's boxed up and added to the pile.
OK Steve I understand now
My entire man cave is currently in the loft....waiting for a move. Should move out in about two weeks, then in two weeks after that.....then it will be on to the decorating circuit.... I really don’t know what you lot are moaning about LOL...
Mind you, the new cave is about twelve foot square, so should be a great improvement on the current six by five cupboard....
AN Tim good luck with the move as we done that about 4yrs ago after livin in the same house for 33yrs an by gum did the stuff in the house accumulate over the yrs we did over 30 trips to the charity shops until the trailer broke down then had a bonfire of small stuff never again will I want to move
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN BOB can I see pics of your stug as I don't really know what type of tank it is ?
chris

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Same as Ron and Steve, Once a model is finished I try and store it away as efficiently as possible. As a 14/15 year old, planes were hung from the ceiling on cotton thread, and tanks, vehicles and artillery had a very congested (and dusty) shelf. Like Ron has said though, as a 30 year old in a shared flat, I don't really consider displaying my work, nor telling people it is a hobby. Not sure why I perceive a stigma about it, but I defiantly try and keep it discrete.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi I've no interested in my stuff at all once finished,my models go into plastic boxes and up in the loft never to be seen again like Ron, Steve and probably there 's a lot more that do the same.

47687922222_b2082eccf2_z.jpgI

A lot have ended up here.

Pete.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK JACK I understand an Pete such a shame as all that work that's gone into these models an these ones are toon ones ernt they I exhibit my model ships an the genral public always like them as they cant wait to see them sail on the pond an in a model show always askin questions about the model so the model has a life after the build
chris

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Chris,
I have a few models standing above my workspace,
Steven_desk.jpg

And some dioramas are put in a bookcase in the attic, they still need a background panel to make them better looking...
I have a lot of space left for models because I have a very low 'finished-output'
Steven_desk2.jpg

Cheers and kind regards,
Steven

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon Chris

Most of mine are paint stripped then re-used for further practice so yes thrown out soon after, but kept some. The Pz IV fell off and lots of bits fell off lol

on the shelve 003.JPG
on the shelve 004.JPG
on the shelve 005.JPG
on the shelve 006.JPG

Chris, can you spot the beauty, another 4 Stugs in the queue for paint then weathering

For you Chris a few Stug books, got a few more as well

on the shelve 007.JPG

you may be surprised that there is only 1 Stug?

On another not to be mentioned site, I did start a Stug fest, intending to build every version and some others with field mods also including history and explanations as to the differences as each version was built

but not sure if that would go down well on this site????

bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello Steven love the dio where the tigers comin in through the woods an your work space set off nicely by the spitfire pic an the tanks on the worktop as for me when ive built a model Its nice just to sit an look at it an think back through the stages to get it where it is when finished great stuff thank all you guys who have shown their models :thumb2:
chris