tape tape and more blinking Tape

First Name
Robert
Hi chaps now this is probably something that has been discussed before but I'm wanting to know is there any alternatives ( tried and tested alternatives mind ) to Tamiya tape.

Ok my reason why I ask

I have eventually successfully really got to grips with the respray of my Vb Spit and well I had used wide Tamiya tape to mask the undersides and well I removed said tape earlier and the tape took a little paint and primer off the model. I repaired it no problem but then I thought of tackyness in the tape and even now after touching the tape on and off on a spare stil of plastic sheet it still has far too much sticky to it.

I know this is its function to stop bleeds etc but is there an alternative?

Over to the more better modellers.

Regards

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use Tamiya tape and I dab across the back of my hand a few times to remove some the stickiness, works for me...watch it not now :sad:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i buy the stuff that Boyes sells, its like a cheapo version of tamiya, works for me

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I use Tamiya tape and I dab across the back of my hand a few times to remove some the stickiness, works for me...watch it not now :sad:
I've done that many of times myself Si and well if your a hairy bugger like me it bloomin hurts taking them hairs out ( no comments please)

Saying that though it could also damage the model itself, bare with me here. Your hands have natural grease in them in the pores and so you in effect add grease to the paintwork ( does this make sense ?

Regards

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I've done that many of times myself Si and well if your a hairy bugger like me it bloomin hurts taking them hairs out ( no comments please)
Saying that though it could also damage the model itself, bare with me here. Your hands have natural grease in them in the pores and so you in effect add grease to the paintwork ( does this make sense ?

Regards

Robert
Agree, all I can say is it works for me...you must be a greasy bugger :D

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Robert I use Tamiya tape a lot and when I first cut it I stick it to the cutting mat a couple of times to get rid of most of the tack. But I'm starting to use Panzer putty quite often it takes a bit of getting used too but I find it works very well

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Agree, all I can say is it works for me...you must be a greasy bugger :D
And a hairy one........ Mmmmmmm, greasy and hairy, why do I fancy pork scratching all of a sudden???

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Try putting the tape onto your trousers rather than your hand. That will help remove some of the tack without removing the hairs from your hand! :D

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Try putting the tape onto your trousers rather than your hand. That will help remove some of the tack without removing the hairs from your hand! :D
Yeah I tried that this afternoon and your right it does take tackyness out

:smiling3: :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
And a hairy one........ Mmmmmmm, greasy and hairy, why do I fancy pork scratching all of a sudden???
Must be all those years when I was a biker ( grease monkey )

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Across the forehead can be quite good. No hair (for most of us) and quite, well, erm, greasy.........

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
the issue is not the tackiness of the tape its the painting preparation.

To make sure that you do not get that you need to do the following:

wipe the model with ipa - what the Americans call rubbing alcohol, not the beer! This will remove any release agent and finger grease from the model.

prime - with a good primer such as Stynylrez and leave it to cure 24 hours.

the you can paint without worry but do make sure any paint you mask over is cured.

Also take more care when masking over metallic paint or metallisers. Some are very fragile.

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its a sticky situation robert , and one that can ruin a good build. I agree with barry , good prep can minimise the risks of paint lifting but its always an extra precaution to try and use low tack tapes. I use Tamiya or the Stuk ones( like paul i get them from Boyes) but for larger areas of masking i use the low tack masking tapes ( usually blue coloured) heres a pic of a couple i use , i got them from b+m bargains and Boyes but i imagine most hardware shops will have something similar , hope this helps , cheers tonyimage.jpeg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
the issue is not the tackiness of the tape its the painting preparation.
Exactly what I was going to say. I use Tamiya tape (and others) when masking and can't remember the last time it lifted the paint. I've also left masking in place for weeks with no ill effects.

Of course, not all paints are the same, but that's another discussion.

For masking large areas I use bog standard aluminium foil, taped in place.

I do usually de-tack tapes on the cutting mat before masking Alclad, but I think that's more by a habit born of paranoia than necessity.

Cheers

Steve