Tempest fighter jet

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Designed by BAE who couldn't sort out the mess they made of the Nimrod MRA4 upgrades ?
Will this turn from ''fighter'' to anything ( multirole ) like the the Typhoon/Eurofighter did ?
When the tornadoes were stationed locally we saw flights of 5 plus doing training at the same time.
The largest flight of typhoons locally is two.
I think there are more models of the aircraft in a single toy shop than there are flying.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Damb - I just posted on the same subject then noticed your post..... beaten to it...

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's got to be prohibitively expensive for one country other than a major superpower to conduct development of advanced military aircraft such as this sixth-generation proposal. The hourly rate for a F-22 Raptor in 2016 was somewhere in the region of US$68k per flight hour. That's a lot of coin per head of population for one airframe flying one hour. Brexit is one thing; refusing to collaborate with countries the UK has traditionally gone into such ventures with in the past is pretty brave... or silly. I reckon a Tornado/Eurofighter-style collaboration is likely, and the Tempest doesn't make it to front line service except in name. Remember the TSR2, all it takes is a change of government. Good luck to the RAF anyway with trying to get this into service.