The Azure debate

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

I have just shot a coat of Humbrol # 157 Azure blue on the bottom of my 48 size P-40 in Med collours. The problem is that it looks way to dark and I wonder if I should respray it with a ligther collour.

I have read the same descution on another thread and it seems there was a few shades of azure due to lack of quality controll,bad stiring by the painters or just plain fading. Basically the same as with the olive drab thing.

Please do me a favour and look at the likn at the collour Azure and tell me what you think of it's acuricy.

Humbrol colour chart

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is too dark. The confusion you mention is due to the existence of several blue paints in the RAF inventory at the time.

I'd go for something like this.

Have a look at the Xtracrylix version which I think is pretty close.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Darn! I was afraid you might sat that. It means a remask and respray :sad:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

What should the diameter of the blue tack "worms" be to get the correct soft edge on a 1/48 cammo????

Thanx

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd estimate about 2-3mm. It's most important to spray at a right angle to the masking.

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Completed the cammo, worms of approx 3-4mm and got an sdge of about 0.5mm wide. Also resprayed the blue after mixing it to eye.

Need to now aply the yellow wing training bands and decals.

How can I do some post shading on the cammo top? Would powder pastel on a fine brush do?

Theuns