The bits you dont see?

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
I was just painting the commander of my Sturmgushutz and realised that his lower body wont be seen and wondered in my mind if it's worth painting the trousers and boots.
I have started to do so but is it really worth it. I never bothered with the interior of my Panzer IV or other tanks. Am I being half-hearted?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Toby ,In my book if it cant be seen then it doesnt get painted . Whos to know? So are you being half hearted? Absolutely not . Anyone who questions it , just tell them you painted it , they cant know you didnt !:smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Toby ,In my book if it cant be seen then it doesnt get painted . Whos to know? So are you being half hearted? Absolutely not . Anyone who questions it , just tell them you painted it , they cant know you didnt !:smiling5:

This from the man who does details so tiny I can't see them even when they're in plain view!

Entirely up to you Toby. Probably half of modellers think if it's there it should be right - built and painted properly - and 'I know it's there'. The other half think it will never be seen so unless it's structural (like propellers need to be fixed to the engine, or maybe the cockpit sits on top of a closed wheelbay) it don't get done. What do you want to do? It's your kit.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Half hearted, Toby? Nah, more like got a bit of sense!

I totally agree with the Tony and Alan, who, along with me, are both fully paid up members of the 'If it ain't seen , it don't get done' Club.

A total waste of time and effort. To me anyway.

Tin Hats on everyone.....Incoming!

D

Deleted member 7181

If it's light plastic then I'd probably slap some black on it. If anyone does peer right in it'll just look like shadows.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if you cant see it then why bother?

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Thanks team. I'd gone over the figure in grey primer anyway so left it like that. But did do his boots as I figured it just looked odd otherwise and it only needed a couple of ml of black that was out and open anyway.
Not finished yet but still trying to match the camo to reference pic I'm using but cannot get the 'sandy' colour right and undecided on cap badge colour, black I did before was too dark.
T

Attachments

• commander.jpg
    commander.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 9

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If it's light plastic then I'd probably slap some black on it. If anyone does peer right in it'll just look like shadows.
I was about to recommend that too: paint the figure’s legs black, paint the area under the hatch black, and nobody will notice.