The Book Topic.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
A Bridge Too Far by Ryan, the definative account of Operation Market Garden.

for anybody who is onterested in Market Garden from a civilian perspective this is a great book. Audrey Hepburn lived through it, and the book describes her, and the civilian polulation's experiance of being cought in the middle of a battle, and the starvation they had to endure as a result of the allied policy of stopping the railways from operating. a great book, and a different perspective.

Peter

EDDB5FE7-6437-4E82-B9D5-8AF5A141F2FD.png

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I must look that one out Peter. She almost played Kate Ter Horst in the film Bridge too far. If she had, she would have shaken hands with the actress playing her as a young girl.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I must look that one out Peter. She almost played Kate Ter Horst in the film Bridge too far. If she had, she would have shaken hands with the actress playing her as a young girl.
A bit like Richard Todd who was at Pegasus Bridge and played his seneior officer, Major Howard in the film The Longest Day where he had another actor (acting as him) report to him (acting as Major Howard.

Peter

D

Deleted member 7917

Maybe off topic but still a book and many of us modellers are in the twilight of our lives. This is an excerpt from 'Travels with Epicurus' by Daniel Klein (ISBN 9781780744124) that gives an example of the book's content.

An affluent Greek American, visiting one of the Greek Islands on holiday, comes upon an old Greek man sitting on a rock, sipping a glass of ouzo, and lazily staring at the sun setting into a glassy sea. The American notices there are olive trees growing on the hills behind the old Greek but they are unattended with olives just dropping here and there onto the ground. He asks the old man who the trees belong to.

"They're mine" the old Greek replies.

"Don't you gather the olives?" the American asks.

"I just pick one when I want one" the old man says.

"But don't you realise that if you pruned the trees and picked the olives at their peak, you could sell them? In America everybody is crazy about virgin olive oil, and they pay a damned good price for it."

"What would I do with the money?" the old Greek asks.

"Why, you could build yourself a big house and hire servants to do everything for you."

"And then what would I do?"

"You could do anything that you wanted!"

"You mean, like sit outside on a rock and sip ouzo at sunset?"

Might not your cup of tea, but I found the philosophy in the book had a significant impact on my outlook at this time of life. I've passed several copies to friends and all of them found it stimulating.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I know it has been mentioned already - But, I just wanted to agree it's a great read,
If you want to know how it feels to fly a Spitfire as an 18 year old, you know what to do !

IMG_0884.jpg