The canopy! Help needed

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening all

First go at working on the Me 109 canopy, help please???

I heard that you do not use normal glue to attach it as it fogs up the see through bits, but use pva??

It is best to leave off for priming or paint the frame work and mask then prime??

Sorry to be a pain!

Ta bob

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What I tend to do is put a little dab of the PVA on each corner, then fit the canopy, so when painting I paint the cockpit colour onto the canopy first ( after masking it ) then put the primer on and then paint the top coats. Then if you need to lift the canopy after for any reason just use a scalpel blade to ease the canopy off.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I heard that you do not use normal glue to attach it as it fogs up the see through bits, but use pva??
For example. It works well enough to stick clear parts to models, if you’re not going to apply much force to them anyway. I usually use Humbrol ClearFix, but if all you build is one plane then there’s no need to buy a bottle of that, if you ask me.

It is best to leave off for priming or paint the frame work and mask then prime??
My normal method is to paint the cockpit interior etc. first, then mask off the canopy and glue it to the model. After that I paint the model, and only when that’s completely done do I remove the masking. This way the frame gets painted along with the rest of the model and you don’t get colour differences or glue stains on the paint.

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Something i read here on the forums and only tried the other day was to use ''micro kristal clear'' as a glue to adhere clear plastic to coloured plastic kit parts , works a treat.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Jakko and Gary

appreciate the hard earned advice :thumb2:

bob

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Bob,
Another product is G-S Hypo Cement, dries clear. Only bad point is that you must put the needle back in or it will all run out the tube.
Mike.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Mike

Many thanks!

Bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob.
I always thought Contacta Clear was the way, but hey what do I know:hungry::hungry:
John.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Did a pig just fly over :smiling::smiling::smiling: