The carpet monster is toying with me.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I don't know how they did it but Meng have managed to mould their Whippet kit in a plastic that's an exact colour match for my shed carpet :unamused:

So there I was, position assumed, praying to the Gods of twist pile to relinquish their grip on my small but important piece of plastic. I even tried offering sacrifices of virgin parts freshly cut from the sprues of past models, but to no avail.

After a good 15 minutes I decided to abort mission, then suddenly I saw something. Not the part I was looking for but a gun sight from my T-28 that I'd had to scratch a replacement for. As I picked it up I also saw the long missing side window from my Hind.

Maybe that's the answer, try looking for something else and you'll distract the monster long enough for it to release the part you really need!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Get one of those little rechargeable hand held vacuums (normally used for cleaning cars) and use it on your model area and that area alone. It's amazing what you'll find

D

Deleted member 7181

That's a really good idea.

Also I now understand why I see so many modelling benches that are completely clear underneath. Got to be easier than moving boxes, shelves, heaters etc just in case it's played pinball and pinged off behind something.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have laminate under my model bench. Doesn't stop it going missing though. Hence the vacuum lol

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I can go one better as I have the sofa and carpet monster working together as I lost a spinner from a 109 I was building I didn't even see it go so after about eight months I was moving the sofa and there was said part even though I had looked there countless number of times.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Andy lost two parts to my ship this afternoon to beasty that lives under the bench, just waiting for its next victim, quickly gave up looking and made the part from white rod hopefully once painted you'll never know.
Pete.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You definitely need the catch all apron, I love mine, saves so much time inspecting the floor.
Of course you could actually like on the floor and model !

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A deranged sadist/trickster for sure, but his cousin is worse. That would be the Bench Lurker who grabs items in mid arc regardless of altitude & secretes them in mysterious locations almost never to be found. PaulE

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A deranged sadist/trickster for sure, but his cousin is worse. That would be the Bench Lurker who grabs items in mid arc regardless of altitude & secretes them in mysterious locations almost never to be found. PaulE
Mid arc? would that be when while holding that irreplaceable and integral tiny part with tweezers it decides to pop off with a force way out of all scale and
proportion to the actual physics involved and glides into an "arc" while in an almost panic you try to follow it's projectory but only to have it virtually
disappear and never to be seen again?....phew!..talk about your run on sentence.
Is that when the "bench lurker" strikes?

1-09-09-Harpie_v+%283%29.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I feel your pain. When it's gone, it's gone, I can deal with that. But for the part to return, after the build is complete, well that's just not cricket.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
What I do guys is just use a brush an dust pan where I think the part went an then just widein the circle outwards an I normaly find the part an 2 fingers to the monster :sick:
chris

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Aye, that's the b.....r, you've caught it's image well. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The carpet under my bench is messier than my bench! I'm sure if I got down on my knees with a pot of glue I could make a couple of tanks. I swear I saw the carpet monster once whizzing by on a scratch built scooter LOL

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The carpet under my bench is messier than my bench! I'm sure if I got down on my knees with a pot of glue I could make a couple of tanks. I swear I saw the carpet monster once whizzing by on a scratch built sc

oute