The Completed Viking

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mark,
first figure? That's come out well! One thing - he's too clean! you'd get dirty after a hard day raping & pillaging! I always hesitate to weather a pristine figure - but I'm pretty sure the Vikings weren't clean - I bet you could smell them coming!
Dave

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Eh, your talking about my ancestors, we were the clean ones, it was the Swedish ones that were unclean. Lol :tongue-out3:
Did think about weathering him a bit but to be honest it scared me a bit so I left it as it is. I'm now back to the wood although might do another figure not sure what though.

Reactions: JR

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice job for your first figure.
To my knowledge Vikings took cleanliness quite seriously, I recall a recent paper saying that the Vikings were attractive to women in the British Isles because they were cleaner and smelt better than the local men.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Nice job for your first figure.
To my knowledge Vikings took cleanliness quite seriously, I recall a recent paper saying that the Vikings were attractive to women in the British Isles because they were cleaner and smelt better.
Thats what I keep telling my wife.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thats ok, lived in Stockholm for two years, have many good memories with fellow Vikings, to be fair im a bit of a mongrel anyhow, Irish American mother Norwegian English father, I was born in London, my parents met in Cambridge University and were due to go to the US when I decided to appear, I was then brought up in the US as well as many other places due to my father being a computer wizz and working with the US military, complicated or what.

• Wow

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I did research - and I'm supposedly related to the last pagan king of England & Denmark, Cnut the Great! I find the ancestry websites scarcely believable in parts - I reckon a lot of the early Middle Age people entries are either wishful thinking, or downright fraudulent. I reckon about 1700 is the furthest I can get with any certainty! It can take a lot of time & patience to try and fathom the truths!
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As your first figure that's very good, well better than my first efforts.
I am sure you will only improve with time and practice.
From what I have read Viking were very clean. Yes they could get very dirty and bloody from time to time but had no problem bathing at the first chance.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I read some time ago that the dna testing of British revealed they had more Viking dna than Danes!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I did research - and I'm supposedly related to the last pagan king of England & Denmark, Cnut the Great! I find the ancestry websites scarcely believable in parts - I reckon a lot of the early Middle Age people entries are either wishful thinking, or downright fraudulent. I reckon about 1700 is the furthest I can get with any certainty! It can take a lot of time & patience to try and fathom the truths!
Dave
I agree Dave, many of the online family trees are fanciful. Unless you're very lucky with parish records it's almost impossible to get much further back than the mid-eighteenth century with any reasonable degree of certainty. Unfortunately there seem to be many people who think the more names on their family tree the better, as well as those who just copy data from online trees without any checks. I discovered this early on my research, when I made a significant mistake, which before I corrected it had been copied into at least 4 other people's trees. I really wish people would check!
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nicely done Mark. No complaints from me especially given that I don't have guts to attempt one.

ATB.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looks better than I can do!
I'll 'duck out' of ancestry - I know that I'm a Heinz fathers surname - Welsh, mothers surname - Scotch, plus mothers family came via London, fathers via Oxfordshire.