The dark art of German tracks......a question....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I'm going to be starting on my first set of workable track links on my North Africa Vignette but what I truly know about tracks wouldn't fill a postage stamp.

I'm going using some Bronco ones for my build. I remember reading (Jakko and others) that the drive sprocket is not quite right on someone else's build. Jakko suggested a solution I'll use to make it work.

Now onto my issue.....

I've seen many references to certain types being left and right sided/handed and according to a review I found online this set is no exception:

"The links are identified on the sprue as F and L which is rather strange as the one marked L is actually the right side link and I'm not sure what the F means? The instructions on the back of the box don't mention the different handed links or what the F and L means so it's left to the modeller to notice the different links for left and right."
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/bronco/ab3513.html

I have no reason to doubt the review but just wanted to double check with you guys that it is right.

ACW

Andrew

50523937331_91e74944ac_b.jpg

50656113203_780553a4ce_b.jpg

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
my suggestion is f = one set , l = other , make up both , and at that point the longer bolt should be on the correct side on each run.
with both sets of tracks sat side by side , horns facing upwards , the track with the longer bolt on lhs goes on lhs side ( tank facing forward ) which also forces you to mount the correct way round i.e small end facing the correct way.panzer-11-tank.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
my suggestion is f = one set , l = other , make up both , and at that point the longer bolt should be on the correct side on each run.
with both sets of tracks sat side by side , horns facing upwards , the track with the longer bolt on lhs goes on lhs side ( tank facing forward ) which also forces you to mount the correct way round i.e small end facing the correct way.

Thanks Gary. That ties in with the review.

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I remember reading (Jakko and others) that the drive sprocket is not quite right on someone else's build. Jakko suggested a solution I'll use to make it work.
Was that my suggestion to cut off the teeth where the track goes, then gluing them back in through the holes?

"The links are identified on the sprue as F and L which is rather strange as the one marked L is actually the right side link and I'm not sure what the F means?
Bronco’s Land-Wasser-Schlepper has the same “problem.” I figured perhaps the Chinese word for right begins with an /l/-sound and that for left begins with an /f/-found, but apparently not, a quick check in Google Translate tells me (剩下 (shèng xià) = left, 对 (duì) = right).

Anyway, as I recall, the instructions for that kit tell you to make up one track with F parts and one with L parts, like Gary suggests too.[/i]

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Was that my suggestion to cut off the teeth where the track goes, then gluing them back in through the holes?

Bronco’s Land-Wasser-Schlepper has the same “problem.” I figured perhaps the Chinese word for right begins with an /l/-sound and that for left begins with an /f/-found, but apparently not, a quick check in Google Translate tells me (剩下 (shèng xià) = left, 对 (duì) = right).

Anyway, as I recall, the instructions for that kit tell you to make up one track with F parts and one with L parts, like Gary suggests too.[/i]
Hi Jakko

That was indeed the solution. Not that I could find the thread when I looked for it.

Actually the kit in my case doesn't come with any instructions to speak of, at least not that I can read, which is why I was very pleased when I found the review.

Thanks for stopping by as always.

ATB

Andrew