The Defence of Rorke's Drift. 22/23rd January 1879 (Revisited)

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Ron this is just.

jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif

First rank take a bow.
Second rank round of applause.
Third rank, remove headdress, three cheers for this outstanding work hip hip, hip hip, hip hip,replace headdress.

Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Thanks everyone for your great posts.
I know it's a re-hash, I just thought it might be of interest now the extra figures have been added.

Cheers.
Ron
're - hash it might be but it's just keeps getting better.

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Sorry I am late, but this is outstanding, really makes you want to build something different. Cracking job sir.
Cheers
Alun
PS have started the 1:72 corvette.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ron,

I was recently in Sydney and visited the NSW Art Gallery where I came across a painting by Alphonse de Neuville of the defence of Roakes Drift. Couldn't miss it as it was huge and took up one wall facing. While I was mesmerised by the detail and taking in the images I remembered your dio and was thinking...man would you have liked to see this...

p1.jpg

I had to borrow my daughters handphone to take the pictures as I had ran out of space on mine.

p2.jpg

Apparently it was purchased by the AGNSW in 1882. My pictures aren't as nice as the ones on the AGNSW website which I looked up to get more info. They have some great close ups and remembered the cracks on the painting.

Below is another painting of a cavalry charge by another Parisian or Polish artist.

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

There were many paintings on the First Great War especially of the demarcation stations and battle fields by well known war artists which I should have photographed but was busy admiring them.

Hope you like the one on Roakes Drift.

Cheers,
Richard