The dilemma.

R

Robo

It must have happened to all of us at some time, after applying several coats of paint and varnish and having admired our handiwork to discover a small but noticeable blemish of one sort or another. The dilemma is do we attempt remedial works with the chance of an even bigger blemish or do we just live with it which for some people is not possible, I suppose it depends on what we intend to do with the model, to show it or just place it on the shelf with the other models. Personally I`m always inclined to try and correct the fault which I must admit is not always successful. Any thoughts on this.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rob
Agree, it is a dilemma which is common I'm sure. The one thing I always do when I c*** *p something is to put it to one side and think about it. I never try to sort a problem straight away. A rushed remedial action usually just makes things worse in my opinion.
Welcome to the forum.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Rob,
Welcome to the forum. That is the one reason I do vehicles if you get a blemish you can cover it up with stowage or mud, very hard to do on a wingy thing.

D

Deleted member 6559

I always try to correct things, though that has sometimes led to a piece being totally ruined. Otherwise the thing will niggle, and niggle and niggle..... Potential lack of sleep usually decides the thing.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh yes, usually just on the border of a camouflage overspray, or in a difficult to reach spot. I usually put it down ( so it doesn't become instant landfill ). Then, I generally try to correct it - I use wet & dry (wet) to take the paint off & correct the problem. Of course blending the paint edges can be a tricky business, - it depends on how much time I really want to spend correcting my own mistake.................
Dave

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
... Usually, if the mistake l made it's not noticeable....it will be in my mind..:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: (I feel what Peter said with the "potential" lack of sleep... so I always try to correct it...it takes time and patience but i do it....and as Paul said it's easier to correct a vehicle or a soldier than a flying thing...
Welcome to the forum....

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Must agree w/those above. Aircraft are unforgiving! Large panels are always tough. A deliberative process is key w/them. Ships also are usually "ship shape" for safety and thus show errors easily. Vehicles, especially military types, often have the used & abused lived in look where errors can be covered as above. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome to the forum Robert.
In my case I plaster it in mud, or make it into a wreak. Resorting to fire has been known !
John.