The first Me 109 to be shot down over Britian.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well thanks to Steve (stona) I got my swastika for the tail of my Me109 from Airfix. A cracker of a little kit. Let us hope that this is a sign of things to come with the new Airfix kits. I hope so I have all ready ordered the others they have on the way. Including a Lynx with Danish navy markings!!! Yay!

Mission: RAF Aerodromes

Date: 8th July 1940

Time: 3.45 p.m.

Unit: 4 Staffel/Jagdgeschwader 51

Type: Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3

Werke/Nr. 1162

Coded: 4 + (White)

Pilot: Leutnant Johann Boehm POW

REASON FOR LOSS:

This aircraft was damaged in combat by Sergeant E. A. (Boy) Mould in a Spitfire of No. 74 Squadron and forced to land at Bladbean Hill. Pilot taken prisoner. Aircraft captured damaged. This was the first German fighter to be shot down over the UK.

The above sums it up in a nut shell.

Here is what it looked like befor Boehm bent it!

Hope you like it and I know the antea wire is missing, I need some new tread.

Ian M

View attachment 26753

View attachment 26754

View attachment 26755

View attachment 26756

View attachment 26757

View attachment 26758

19092010729.jpg

19092010725.jpg

19092010728.jpg

19092010727.jpg

19092010726.jpg

19092010730.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice build Ian, very nice indeed.

Have fun, John

PS, i can see my mouse hovering over the Five Star button, too late it's done it lol.

F

Fenlander

I loved building this kit Ian, I think it rates as one of the best ones and half the price of the Eduard which may have the edge due to Photo Etch but all in all, this is a superb kit. As you say, I hope to that it is the sign of things to come, it will be the re-making of Airfix

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely kit in a slightly unusual colour scheme with excellent weathering. Great wash effects in the recessed detail. Interesting to know a bit about the aircraft as well, thanks Ian

S

sprayman

Great Bf109, top work. Boehm being taken into captivity.

Potential of a great dio from the picture.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice work Ian. Good to see the swastikas fitted! You can't have too many 109s.

Poor old Boehm....forever the first man in a Bf109 to be shot down over England. He would have had plenty of time as a P.O.W. to think about it. I think he's wondering why the soldier saying " this way sir" is wearing a skirt in Ray's piccy.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the feed back.

Richard, I'm not sure what you mean by unusual colour scheme. This is the first German Aircraft I have done, so I am a bit lost there. It might well be the motteling on the sides if I should guess. It was rather heavy on the real one and as said it was a first attempt. And probably not the last but I will try not to make a habit of it LOL, I will leave those to Steve.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The RLM02/71 upper surface camouflage which Ian has represented very nicely was standard at this time. Some locally mixed greys which were the precursors of the later RLM74/75 upper scheme started to appear towards the end of the BoB. The mottle was applied at unit level as after the Battle of France the light blue sides of the aircraft were considered to make the aircraft to visible on the ground,at least that's the reason Galland gave.Others claim that they stood out against the waters of the channel or the English countryside,which as far as I can tell isn't that different to Polish countryside from 20000 feet! For mottling you really need a reference,if not of your aircraft then at least one from the same unit. Failing that I go "generic" LOL. It was often thinly applied. In crashed enemy aircraft reports it is often described as "overspray".

This one looks good!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, been busy lately so missed this one, a well deserved 5 star, I especially like that subtle mottling along the fuselage. Don't know how you can have so many projects on the go at the same time, my simple brain can only handle one at a time. Cheers Derek

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Thanks for the feed back. Richard, I'm not sure what you mean by unusual colour scheme. This is the first German Aircraft I have done, so I am a bit lost there. It might well be the motteling on the sides if I should guess. It was rather heavy on the real one and as said it was a first attempt. And probably not the last but I will try not to make a habit of it LOL, I will leave those to Steve.

Ian M
Sorry Ian I missed this. What I meant was that a large percentage of Emils seem to have the light blue lower fuselage and undersides and a yellow nose. (One to make them more difficult to see and the other to make them easier to identify?!!!!)

Yours looks that bit different and makes a nice change

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ok thanks Richard. I was a bit worried that I had cocked it up!

Adrian; Many thanks!

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cracking 109 Ian, and I like the history surrounding it. You've made a great job of, what looks, a terrific kit!

A1

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great result Ian. The paint is top notch. Nice to know the background as well.

Colin m....