The Forum

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
They brought light pipe down the alley today. What a difference. All your great pics come up supper fast now. I remember experimenting w/this tech back in the eighties. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great news Paul.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm guessing that light pipe is optic fibers lol or is it fiber optics. We got it last a year or so ago and it has been a game changer.
My laptop is now to slow to pull it down fast over wi-fi. but the desktop pulls it full blast cabled and almost as fast wireless. Fast enough that I cant see the difference that is...
Great news Paul.
The misses is going to want a smart tv now. You know that right?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ha!,
my speed is at a maximum of 6Mb/s - no fibre locally, and no plans to add any in the near future - I don't do online gaming, and the only thing I stream is Spotify, so I can do all I want to do. I suppose slow broadband will shortly be taken as one of the indicators of poverty!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ha!,
my speed is at a maximum of 6Mb/s - no fibre locally, and no plans to add any in the near future - I don't do online gaming, and the only thing I stream is Spotify, so I can do all I want to do. I suppose slow broadband will shortly be taken as one of the indicators of poverty!
Dave
HI Dave I live in a low megabyte area an I think my speed is only about 3mb/s so im lower an slower than you an as you say no F/O locally an no plans to add any. Because there are only about 4 houses in the area an for the last few wks it took me all my time just to post on here as pc so slow so as they say always someone worst off than you
Chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
3 Mb/s.....you were lucky :angry:....just moved out of the centre of Salisbury, where we lived in a residential terraced street, and got about 2 Mb/s if we were lucky....now living in rural Somerset, where I get about 30 Mb/s......go figure as the cousins say :cool:

D

Deleted member 7237

You're all lucky, I've just got dial-up moved from my hole in the ground to a muddy puddle with a tarpaulin, got it off a bloke in a pub he said it was top of the range. Use a coat hanger, baked bean tin and a set of jump leads.
Welcome to the 21st century.
Sorry couldn't resist I saw "your lucky" and just went into Monty python mode.
As you can tell I'm getting a bit bored now in hospital.
Pete.:upside:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
In the middle of nowhere up here in Northern Scotland and we still have carrier pigeons for internet. Sometimes i wonder if it would be quicker posting my replies on here via Royal Mail!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You're all lucky, I've just got dial-up moved from my hole in the ground to a muddy puddle with a tarpaulin, got it off a bloke in a pub he said it was top of the range. Use a coat hanger, baked bean tin and a set of jump leads.
Welcome to the 21st century.
Sorry couldn't resist I saw "your lucky" and just went into Monty python mode.
As you can tell I'm getting a bit bored now in hospital.
Pete.:upside:
Well Pete it seems to me you on the rd to recovery well done an better bein bored an getting better than down an it seem there is nothing up with your sence of humour keep it up best wishes
jen an chris ps you wont be bored pete when matron turns up

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Already got one for the boudoir Ian, but now w/50Mb/s the picture on all the TVs when using Netflix or Prime is amazing. As a bonus, the sales dude they sent w/the installer hooked my Bose system up to the big TV so no matter the source to the TV I get the Bose sound. One happy bunny. PaulE

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've just changed from copper to fibre, but strangely although the maximum download speed has just about doubled, it's now much more variable than it was with good old copper wire, varying from 32 Mb/s to 5 Mb/s. The upload speed is consistently much faster though, between 6 - 8 Mb/s.
Pete