The Great TOON challenge. Chat thread

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've seen these Toon Models a as a bit of fun, but obviously some people take them seriously - You can get detail sets for some! Pictures from Hobby Search ( Japanese Shop )
eggplane details 01.jpgeggplane details 02.jpgeggplane details 03.jpg
There are also decal sets available............................................
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

Before today I freely admit I thought this G.B. (to quote Monty Python) 'Too silly!'
Not any more. My wife has just surprised me with this....She's admitted she clocked me looking at one.

View attachment 327504

I never thought I'd write this, but what a revelation! I've just had a peep in the box. For under a tenner delivered, what a cracking little kit it is. Far from 'Silly' it's great and I look forward to making a start on it.

Cheers.
Ron
Hi Ron and welcome aboard, your wife has made a very good choice indeed and good luck with the build I'm very pleased you like the kit. As you know I've built one or twelve of these I just think there good fun builds, this is the one I built last year with a few of my own upgrades.
1548428467012.png
1548428483193.png
1548428497882.png
1548428510062.png
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Only one more sleep until the GB kicks off. :smiling3:

Stupidly I have 2 other builds on the go at the moment, but both are now in the paint stage so should have time to get on with the Blackbird while things dry.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Gang

I'll shall try this one
85AK7Ei.jpg

Lets see what happens
Steve H

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Gang

I'll shall try this one
85AK7Ei.jpg

Lets see what happens
Steve H
Good morning Steve and welcome to the GB, this one builds up very nicely and if you are inclined there are one or two little upgrade you can add, but the most important part of the build is to have fun, good luck.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi everyone The Great "Toon"challenge is now under way if you want to join in just jump in and start a build thread, you don't need to ask.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi, Jim mentioned dry fitting yesterday the only downside is that dry fitting is a problem as once the two parts are together they are some times very hard to separate. I soon learnt that early on with the toon tanks, I should have mentioned it, far be it for me to tell any of you how to build but a quick sand around the connecting pins and you can get them apart again without damage, the other tip is to cut 3/5mm of the smaller connecting pin the male one, that is best one I have found.

I would also recommend that you thoroughly wash the tank tracks, on the last two toons thay were very oily and even the sprues had a slight oily feel.

I haven't come across a glue that won't glue these together yet and I glue everything on.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Definitely sound advice. The Meng kit I have is so well engineered that it really could be built without glue as it says on the box.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can I remind every one that the thread title of your build MUST include builders name, the model name and the make. In this build we will let the scale bit slide.

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Hi Pete.....another one for the merry band!!...i was enjoying watching the builds but didn't have any notion of joining in but while i was trawling for some info on chinese vehicles for another build i came across this....

Just could not resist and ordered straight away..digital camo??hmmmmmm.......will get thread up and running as have already started to build......cheers Marty

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Pete.....another one for the merry band!!...i was enjoying watching the builds but didn't have any notion of joining in but while i was trawling for some info on chinese vehicles for another build i came across this....

View attachment 329451
Just could not resist and ordered straight away..digital camo??hmmmmmm.......will get thread up and running as have already started to build......cheers Marty
Hi Marty you are most welcome, but remember once you join the dark side there is no going back :tongue-out3::upside::tongue-out3: post away my friend when it arrives .
Pete. :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Question?
Where do we put the 'completed' thread & pics? under the normal completed aircraft/tanks/ships sections, or is there somewhere special for the toons?
Dave

D

Deleted member 5819

Question?
Where do we put the 'completed' thread & pics? under the normal completed aircraft/tanks/ships sections, or is there somewhere special for the toons?
Dave
Hi Dave I've asked management the question and I'm waiting for feedback.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Dave I've asked management the question and I'm waiting for feedback.
Pete.
Hi this what management have come back with.
All the finished builds from all GB's go in the relevant sections.
So tanks in the armour section, ships in the ship section .
Of you look each completed section has a bit for completed GB's.
The build thread can end with a couple of pictures as a teaser, and a link to the completed build pictures.

Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Have you seen THIS. The popularity of 'Toons' must be growing.
Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Pete
Have you seen THIS. The popularity of 'Toons' must be growing.
Jim
Hi Jim, I have but thank you for posting it, it's very big in Far East especially at there model show with big money prizes and if you think I upgrade them, think again they make mine look very very amateurish.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi just a heads-up there is only one month left so there's still time to enter if you want to, as most of you know Ian is kindly running the GB now.
Pete.