The Hunters and the Hunted' - kits and reference material

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A great idea Andrew. Good stash too. The last themed build I did was for the 75th BoB anniversary. I have a display case with all the relevant aircraft (both sides) all in markings of actual combatants. Dusting is a chore!
John.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A great idea Andrew. Good stash too. The last themed build I did was for the 75th BoB anniversary. I have a display case with all the relevant aircraft (both sides) all in markings of actual combatants. Dusting is a chore!
John.
Nooo! Just a question of training 'er indoors properly!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John.
John

Thanks for stopping by and glad you like it. Looking back at the kits, I do though feel that I need to add another twin engined German fighter to balance it out a bit.

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very ambitious Andrew...........should keep you busy for awhile. Will Junior be working on this with you or is this a "solo" project?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very ambitious Andrew...........should keep you busy for awhile. Will Junior be working on this with you or is this a "solo" project?
Hi Rick

Sincerest apologies, completely missed this. It is pretty ambitious.....the phrase "biting off more than I can chew" comes to mind.

When I started this it was with the intention of being a solo project but if Junior wants to pitch in at any point he will of course be very welcome!

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ah right a collection on a theme. For a moment I was thinking 'dude! You're going to need a whole room for this diorama!'

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ah right a collection on a theme. For a moment I was thinking 'dude! You're going to need a whole room for this diorama!'
Ian

Now that's an idea!!! The question is which of the children will be losing their bedroom?!?!? :smiling5:

Actually, when the collection was much smaller, I had considered doing them again a night time backdrop with the planes held up someway 'in flight' but it's got too big for that now.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So as you may have seen from a post last week, there have been some new arrivals for this collection.

ACW as usual!

ATB

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First up some decals.....

As you may have seen I have two AZ Models 109G-6 kits for Wilde Sau fighters. AZ Models actually do three G-6 Wilde SAU kits with different decals. Two from their night fighter activities and one from when they switched to a day time role. One of the kits I got was from their daytime role (doh!!) and it was impossible to find the other night-fighter kit to correct the error. However, I did find these decals for a good price, which cover the right time frame and even two of the AZ Models marking options - plus there's plenty of spares too for future builds, should I need them.

Next up more information on the three kits that arrived last month but first, as I said previously, a very big and heartfelt thank you goes to our own AlanG for his advice!!

We have all at some point seen someone recommend a kit and with a total lack of will power given in and bought it, only to 'tongue in cheek' blame the other member for leading us astray!! ;) :smiling5: Alan is no exception where I am concerned and has always responded in good humour! ;):smiling3:

However, as I also said previously, this is not one of those occasions. I had been considering adding a nachtjäger or two to the collection and asked Alan for his advice on what to consider, given his expertise on this topic. He responded to my long message very promptly, confirming a lot of my thinking but also correcting it in one case and so stopped me making a mistake. He also made a suggestion I had not considered.

So @AlanG, thank you again for your support, it really is appreciated; it is an example of this hobby at its best!!

So first up this......

I had not considered this as an option and if I'm honest I had forgotten about this particular plane, probably because not many were made. Research revealed that Hasegawa did a new tool circa late 90s but they go for truly stupid money if you can find them....and then I found this brand new from an online hobby store.

However, in a build blog I found, one reviewer put it like this:

"What can you say about this kit? Not much and still kiss your mom on the cheek and go to church on Sundays. It is a dog in the truest sense......"

So why did I buy it? Because brand new, including delivery, it cost me the princely sum of £7.57!! So if turns out to be unbuildable, I've not lost much.

Next up this...

One thing I have discovered in choosing this theme, is that a lot of the relevant kits (both British and German) are now out of production and so I've had to start stalking eBay listings or using second hand sites. This is no exception and dates from 1991. I managed to knock a few pounds off in negotiations with the seller and so paid what I considered a reasonable price compared to all the other offerings I had seen and historic sales.

Finally this......

This was the possibility Alan had suggested that I was not aware of. To say I am very glad I took heed of his input in an understatement!! I managed to pick this up brand new from a modelling site for what I think is a very good price. The reviews are unfailingly good and a review of the contents upon arrival did not disappoint! And of course with all that glass on display a canopy mask was a must!

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hiya Andrew

It has been a pleasure conversing with yourself regarding all this. Just glad i could offer some good advice and give you some ideas.

Looking forward to all this coming together (over the many many years lol).

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Wow and I thought I had a bunch of projects! Andrew I’ll try to keep up very nice collection lots of goodies in there too. I wish you well with this project

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hiya Andrew

It has been a pleasure conversing with yourself regarding all this. Just glad i could offer some good advice and give you some ideas.

Looking forward to all this coming together (over the many many years lol).
It has been enjoyable hasn't it and yes many, many years......who knows I might end up leaving it to Junior in my will, given my usual build rate!!! :smiling5:

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow and I thought I had a bunch of projects! Andrew I’ll try to keep up very nice collection lots of goodies in there too. I wish you well with this project

Thanks Lee......from a simple purchase of a Bf 110 G-4, it has come on a long way!! 15 kits in total - although I've only posted 14 so far......so keep your eyes peeled!

ATB.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Lee......from a simple purchase of a Bf 110 G-4, it has come on a long way!! 15 kits in total - although I've only posted 14 so far......so keep your eyes peeled!

ATB.

Andrew
I will Andrew.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow Andrew this certainly is developing into a mighty collection
Mick,

Apologies missed your reply... And yes it is....15 kits so far..... Although I'm still waiting for a couple of arrivals to do it one thread.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
15 kits so far..... Although I'm still waiting for a couple of arrivals to do it one thread.

And how many are built Andrew??? C'mon Buddy, I ain't getting any younger here.....Get crackin' on 'em Sir!!!...........I wanna see this project come together............

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
And how many are built Andrew??? C'mon Buddy, I ain't getting any younger here.....Get crackin' on 'em Sir!!!...........I wanna see this project come together............

Prost
Allen
Hi Allen

After a careful count, re-count and second re-count....

The committee has confirmed after meticulous interrogation of the extensive evidence....

The total number of models built is.....

ZERO! :smiling5:

But at least none are stalled shelf queens!!!;)

In all seriousness though, I'm doing the Mossie night fighter for the Mossie GB but I want a bit of practice on wingy things first and so will be doing the two 109s first.....

.... once I get the townhouse finished.

At least that's the plan!

Thanks for stopping by!!

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So some more arrivals over the past week to add to this not so little project!

ATB

Andrew

---------------------------------------

First up some more reading material....

....courtesy of recommendations by @AlanG, Nick aka @Niho and Al Murray/James Holland....in that order!

And this......which made my month!

I have been trying to find an 88 G-6 for quite some time. Hasegawa do one based on a new-ish 2006 tooling, which gets good reviews but 2nd hand goes for well north of £40.

The other option was this offering from Zvezda, also from 2006.

According to reviews it's not quite as good as the Hasegawa one but new it was apparently half the price of the Hasegawa version but importantly it's not 'half' as bad despite the price difference......but I couldn't find it any anywhere for any price!!

I resorted to trying Kingkit that had @Dave Ward mentioned previously and after about a week this popped up for a reasonable price, especially compared to the Hasegawa offerings (Thanks Dave!!).

Last edited: