The Illuminated Lapidarist

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well I like him, even if you did lose interest Paul…….OSL is not easy, or so I’m told, but you’ve got it tamed here……texture and colouration on the back of the waistcoat is exceptional, by the way….and the calibration shot shows he really isn’t that big is he!

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tim. I won't be doing OSL again in a hurry, that's for sure. Although... it would be interesting to try it on a figure where the light source is less dominant, which might leave more room for manoeuvre. We'll see.

Like you, I'm happy with the waistcoat. The process has been more rewarding than the outcome - the range of tones I've used on his back is way more than I would usually use - setting down a range of colours with the airbrush was the key (although I didn't realise that at the time). I also used glaze medium in anger for the first time, mainly on his arms. That was very helpful, and I'm now keen to experiment more with that, too.

His eyes, all scrunched up and deep-set, were a bit of a disappointment. The next bust will have eyeballs I can properly access to paint, so that should be - interesting...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim. I won't be doing OSL again in a hurry, that's for sure. Although... it would be interesting to try it on a figure where the light source is less dominant, which might leave more room for manoeuvre. We'll see.

Like you, I'm happy with the waistcoat. The process has been more rewarding than the outcome - the range of tones I've used on his back is way more than I would usually use - setting down a range of colours with the airbrush was the key (although I didn't realise that at the time). I also used glaze medium in anger for the first time, mainly on his arms. That was very helpful, and I'm now keen to experiment more with that, too.

His eyes, all scrunched up and deep-set, were a bit of a disappointment. The next bust will have eyeballs I can properly access to paint, so that should be - interesting...
There is a good eyeball step by step on Planet figure if you haven’t come across it already…only works for bigger figures though. Don’t try it on 28s LOL.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the kind comments, folks.
That's a very useful primer Tim, thanks. Peter Day's (deleted member 6559) tutorial on here is also promising. I'll be looking at both more closely.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Peter still posts on Planet figure……it’s where he went after he left us.