The Motorbike Thread

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
. Sparks fly when their parking stand touch the road...very dangerous as it can easily catch and cartwheel you.
(Richard quote)

Hi Richard well i see the same thing but this was a genuine accident me mate an my brother on pillion on his honda 250 an i was on a honda 350 behind them an we was comin back from norwich after havin our bikes serviced an we came over the water bridge in a plase called coltishall an down to a nr 90 deggree bend an the rd cambered to our left the way the rd bend was an well right on this bend was a garage

an this is still so an unknow to us some oil had leaked from the garage we think afterwards an well id never seen anything like it well me mate an brother on the honda 250 went into the bend first an well they hit the oil an the back wheel slipped on the oil an went out an the side stand hit the rd an sparks flew off it an the bike cartwheeled two to three times before it came to a stop an the boys were catapulted into the air an they landed on their backs spinning with their legs an arms in the air an boy was it a job for me to keep my bike straight as i shot straight accross the bend into nearly into a shop plate glass window before i managed to stop an the funny thing was we was only doin about 25 mph as had to slow down for the bend but well it all happend so quick WOW what a day an just as we was all trying to get up an ambulance came round the corner made our day that did WISH I WAS YOUNG AGAIN
chris

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Here's before and after pics of my avatar bike. Its a 1967 Honda Z50 monkey bike and was given to me by a relative who'd had it since the early seventies. I restored it for it's fortieth birthday and used the original hand-written log book to assist in retaining the registration and getting a new type V5C. Not that I fancy my chances with it on the road - 5 inch wheels and no suspension:

DSCN1360.JPG

DSCN1544b.JPG

This is one bike that will not be leaving my modest collection - its promised to my daughter. The wife thinks I should build a display case for it and put it on top of the sideboard in our conservatory, but for now it resides under one of the benches in my workshop.

Nick.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here's before and after pics of my avatar bike. Its a 1967 Honda Z50 monkey bike and was given to me by a relative who'd had it since the early seventies. I restored it for it's fortieth birthday and used the original hand-written log book to assist in retaining the registration and getting a new type V5C. Not that I fancy my chances with it on the road - 5 inch wheels and no suspension:

View attachment 430407

View attachment 430408

This is one bike that will not be leaving my modest collection - its promised to my daughter. The wife thinks I should build a display case for it and put it on top of the sideboard in our conservatory, but for now it resides under one of the benches in my workshop.

Nick.
HI Nick oh she's a lovely little bike very well loveingly restored very well done
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely restoration on the monkey Nick. I must admit to wondering exactly what the point of them was….not the most usable of rides!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Saw these (or something very similar) all over So Cal back in the early seventies. Beautiful resto.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Beautiful day today and as I'm now on my 'winter' working pattern I was able to enjoy it.

Took this one for a nice rideout to the memorial at the Boxted WWII airfield....

20210922_125446.jpg

20210922_113253.jpg

20210922_113301.jpg

20210922_113245.jpg

I'd forgotten what a lovely bike this is having not used it at all last year and only got it MOT'd recently....

Nick

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NICE big an sturdy bike just right to go ploughing through the snowdrifts Nick as ive had motorbike but never a scrambler
becarefull on it mate
chris an jen

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
well heres my tuppence worth.. started on a c70 honda step through never had any intrest in bikes but failed my car test and this was going for a song taxed and insured it took me on a journey of discovery no joke semi automatic clutch and after the first ride i just loved the freedom it gave me, 2nd yamaha xt125 bit sluggish but it was a small 4 stroke so i traded it for a dt125 now this could shift after a bit of fine tuning flipped it a couple of times but learned (the hard way) how to balance on one wheel while going up through the box the power band could catch you out quite quickly hence the flips,
passed my test and bought an xt500 in boxes a mate was going to put it together for me but after a while i started it my self and to be fair it when together really quickly moted and away i went again.. kick backs were common but my dad and big brother showed me how to set the points and as long as you did it regularly it was fine it normally gave you a reminder when you least expected it and this helped focus the mind but you pointed it at anything and up it when… swopped it for an rd400 back to 2 strokes and this was a powerfull we beastie when it ran!, I popped a few postons seized it a couple of times rebuilt it over and over again final straw was a long straight and flat out on the tank BANG con-rod snapped and jammed in the exust port. Skid marks were left but not only on the road.
next up xj650 fore damaged rebuild 1st shaft drive i had and in line 4 nice bike but if you backed of the rear end always dropped and i didn't like that so traded it for an xt600, had this for a few years and loved it toured al over France and in to Spain with it miss that bike B416WST no longer on the dvla data base so i suspect it has been scrapped, sold it to a dealer when my wife fell pregnant..
waithed quite a few years then bought a new xt 660 but nothing like the old ones had a small ish with passing out and had to have heart surgery to replace my aortic valve sold it just after chest wasn't as strong as it use to be. that's when i got in to modelling during my recover.. should have stuck with the bikes it would have been cheaper
a few years later i bought an xt250 project and still tring to finish it off got all the parts just time todo it and inclination
this year i bought a kawasaki W800 just to run about on, its new and nice to ride weve had a few runs on it when the suns out managed just over 1000 miles on it it garaged for the winter now. so then one night a couple of week ago i bought another xt600 (1996) this had an mot and a nasty rattle but i didnt pay a lot for it as many of you know the xt range is super exspencive whish id kept the xt 500 they are mental money but the 600 was running* so i have had a few rides on it not many, really need to clear out the garage and get this looked at it’s complete and as far as i can see very original just the engine needs removed and repaired one day i will get round to
ok sorry for harping on and on and on
got lost in nostalgia there for awhile
simon

Last edited:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
The new XT and the W800
im sure i have other pictures of the older ones but not sure where…

Attachments

• DD1E1A2E-609A-4C25-9550-14718359A228.jpeg
    DD1E1A2E-609A-4C25-9550-14718359A228.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 0337CA99-C48B-4583-B0F7-5B6436B8487A.jpeg
    0337CA99-C48B-4583-B0F7-5B6436B8487A.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 8
  • D940FC74-C575-4500-808B-96CE67926DBD.jpeg
    D940FC74-C575-4500-808B-96CE67926DBD.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 6EAAB9FA-146C-409A-88BD-E28C7A476775.jpeg
    6EAAB9FA-146C-409A-88BD-E28C7A476775.jpeg