'A retirement home for Lucky XI'... Revell Tug Boat.

D

Deleted member 4539

All good fun Ron :smiling3:.
Whilst in the RAF my brother used to teach air to air refuelling on the VC10(to the pilots) and also look after the systems of it.One day he told this lad to empty the refuelling tanks so that repairs could be done.A couple of hours later my brother went to check how the lad was getting on.Well what my brother saw was this VC10 tail sitting and when he got closer the lad was sitting down in tears,verbally laying into him my brother said "why the hell didn't you put the supports on first",the lad replied "I forgot".
The whole tail end was trashed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Got to keep on my toes, Paul. Duckin' an' divin', bobin' an' weavin'.

Enough waffle...
Guess what? It's raining!
So in the shed I've been.

I've come up with the idea of a titchy bridge with a stream running out into the inlet.
Also I'm going to have a half concrete, half stone jetty wall with a wooden jetty going over to the tug - So far!

I only ever start off with a sketchy idea of what I want. Somehow the ideas seem to come along as the build progresses.

The wall core is built up with scraps of polystyrene. I have also flattened the sides of the banks a tad more.
P1230434.JPG

P1230435.JPG

The bridge opening. I've also lowered the tug into the mud a bit more.
P1230437.JPG

I've also given the whole base a liberal coating of watered down PVA.

Cheers.
Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I like the connection between 'Lucky' and the SS United States!
I used to visit Norfolk, Virginia in the late 70's & early 80's. The United States was there, virtually derelict, tied up, looking very sad. The paint was faded, and peeling, and it's sole function was as a lavatory for the local seagulls. ( Just like the plan for your Lucky ).
She had been built & run with a large subsidy from the US Government as a reserve strategic troop transport. Her running costs were very high, so with the advent of modern jet travel the transport function ( & subsidy ) vanished. Various plans for refurbishing/restoring/preserving have come & gone, but none have taken root. I believe she's been moved to Philadelphia, still awaiting her future
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They will probably sink it for a reef like the Oriskany was, off the coast of Florida.
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input chaps.

I've made a start on the harbour/inlet wall and roadway.
Done in 5mm foam board (I don't come across the right kind of pizza bases any more) :angry:
I've scribed the stone for the bridge arch. All loosely fitted to test. Once I'm happy with the composition I'll start the scribing of the wall stonework. This I will do with the bits laid out on the cutting board to ensure a continuity of the stonework bond. Also it'll be a darn easier than if all is fixed on the model.
You will observe the left hand side of the bridge is airborne and wedged level with a small piece of polystyrene. Fear not, hopefully once I start mixing my mud pies all will be hidden.

P1230443.JPG

P1230445.JPG

P1230446.JPG

P1230447.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
I've done the stonework scribing. I marked the lines with a pencil then gently went over them with a scalpel.

Random heights for a bit of variation.

Next I'll stick the pieces on the wall core and start the painting process.
P1230448.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Rick. glad you like it thus far.... :thumb2:

Onwards into the unknown.

I've glued on the wall sections and given it all a good brushed on dose of grey acrylics to bring out the joints and to add a bit of tone/shade difference.

P1230449.JPG

I've left part of the wall in concrete. Simply to break up the stonework a bit.
P1230450.JPG

P1230451.JPG

I mentioned earlier about laying the wall sections flat and in a line when marking out the stonework. See how the bond now keeps reasonably level and true all around the wall, particularly on the external angle. Keep in mind it is rough stone to start with.
P1230453.JPG

Next I'll probably return to the tug as she'll need to be glued in place before I can tackle the mud.

Thanks for having a blimp.

Ron