The "Other" Babaylon 5 Starfury: Sheridan's "Tigermeet" fighter

B

Boldman

The "Other" Babylon 5 Starfury: Sheridan's "Tigermeet" fighter

Many years ago in the mid 90s, I got one of these kits and built it but not very well. I hadn't been modelling since I was a teenager and the paints I used were rubbishy acrylics that I was using to paint metal figures for AD&D, so the end result wasn't very good and in the years since, its been a bit banged up and one of the flaps has broken off. I also managed to get a lot of silvering in the decals because I hadn't worked out you can't apply decals to a matt painted surface.

So now to the present day and I was able to get one off eBay without having to remortgage, in fact I got the Special Edition one - whoo hoo! Badges ahoy!

33866-other-babaylon-5-starfury-sheridans-tigermeet-fighter-dscf4657.jpg

33867-other-babaylon-5-starfury-sheridans-tigermeet-fighter-dscf4658.jpg
33868-other-babaylon-5-starfury-sheridans-tigermeet-fighter-dscf4659.jpg

So I was thinking I'd build the Tigermeet... er I mean Sheridan Starfury...

Just for comparison, here is the original Starfury I built in the 90s:

33869-other-babaylon-5-starfury-sheridans-tigermeet-fighter-dscf4660.jpg
33865-other-babaylon-5-starfury-sheridans-tigermeet-fighter-dscf4661.jpg

Can't honestly say I'm very impressed and there are all sorts of things wrong with the guns etc - one of the tines broke off during one of my various house moves since the mid 90s, its around somewhere but its one of those things you can't find when you are looking for it but turns up regularly at other times!

This is therefore my opportunity to build a better version. So I've gone a bit mad and ordered the lighting set from Starship Modeller and the coloured lighting parts from Don's Light & Magic (scroll to bottom of page to get past the ST rubbish ;) )

Today's Koshism: A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles.

View attachment 38532

View attachment 38533

View attachment 38534

View attachment 38535

View attachment 38536

DSCF4661.jpg

DSCF4657.jpg

DSCF4658.jpg

DSCF4659.jpg

DSCF4660.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
As a fan of the Babylon 5 series i shall be watching this build with interest.Are there any other Babylon 5 space ship models available?.The Shadows ship would make an amazing model.

B

Boldman

There are a few listed here: Comet Miniatures but they are pretty expensive. I've love a Thunderbolt fighter and an Omega Class Destroyer, but my wallet doesn't quite stretch that far!

First Name
Dave
Just looked at that link Andrew .The Shadow ship looks very tempting!.

N

noble

I have a resin white star and a nova class drednought in my stash at the moment, the white star is a longterm project due to the paint work being very very difficult. Andrew a nice fury there i was going to scratch build part of the cobra bay for mine but can't seem to find any plans or drawings.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I just looked at the link to. An hour later......Dude that place has got a lot of stuff. Correction. A lot of expensive stuff. I can not believe the price of som eof the them.

Ian M

N

noble

\ said:
Many years ago in the mid 90s, I got one of these kits and built it but not very well. I hadn't been modelling since I was a teenager and the paints I used were rubbishy acrylics that I was using to paint metal figures for AD&D, so the end result wasn't very good and in the years since, its been a bit banged up and one of the flaps has broken off. I also managed to get a lot of silvering in the decals because I hadn't worked out you can't apply decals to a matt painted surface.So now to the present day and I was able to get one off eBay without having to remortgage, in fact I got the Special Edition one - whoo hoo! Badges ahoy!

Can't honestly say I'm very impressed and there are all sorts of things wrong with the guns etc - one of the tines broke off during one of my various house moves since the mid 90s, its around somewhere but its one of those things you can't find when you are looking for it but turns up regularly at other times!

This is therefore my opportunity to build a better version. So I've gone a bit mad and ordered the lighting set from Starship Modeller and the coloured lighting parts from Don's Light & Magic (scroll to bottom of page to get past the ST rubbish ;) )

Today's Koshism: A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles.
I've just seen one of these on e-bay and am waiting to last second to place a bid, i love em.

scott

B

Boldman

Agreed Ian, it seems the realm of Sci Fi modelling requires DEEP pockets! I just calculated I've spent over £50 on this so far with the kit form eBay and then the lighting kit afterwards... oops!

Todays Koshism: I have always been here

N

noble

\ said:
Many years ago in the mid 90s, I got one of these kits and built it but not very well. I hadn't been modelling since I was a teenager and the paints I used were rubbishy acrylics that I was using to paint metal figures for AD&D, so the end result wasn't very good and in the years since, its been a bit banged up and one of the flaps has broken off. I also managed to get a lot of silvering in the decals because I hadn't worked out you can't apply decals to a matt painted surface.So now to the present day and I was able to get one off eBay without having to remortgage, in fact I got the Special Edition one - whoo hoo! Badges ahoy!

Hi Andrew i've won one of these on Ebay today so i will keep this one safe and sound in my stash for a while i think.

scott

B

Boldman

Not started building yet but some news... I emailed John at StarShip Modeller and he told me that he should have a new supply of resin gun replacements very soon, ie November-ish, so that is excellent news - I should have finished my Spitfire VIII and Thunderbirds Firefly by then, just in time for the Starfury extravaganza!!!

...and there's more...

The lighting kit arrived a week or so ago and yesterday the transparencies arrived from DLM:

So what you see in the pic:

Top left, the printed out instructions from the PDF on the mini-CD shown. This is 6 pages of wiring and assembly instructions for the lighting.

Top right a page of photos and illustrations that came with the transparencies set from Doug's Light and Magic

Bottom Right the instructions for installing the transparencies in the engines and how to use the cockpit marks and decals

Bottom left lots of bits for the lighting, including: mini-socket to install in the bottom of the model and the plug that is attached to the stand to transfer the power. Another larger lug and socket to fit into the base to use to connect to your 12v DC power supply. Small circuit board that redistributes the power to the LEDs. Fibre optics (long black "wire") set of LEDs all labelled with their intended use. Heat shrink cladding. Decals and masks for the cockpit. Blue transparencies for the engines and the transparent cockpit. (There is also a bundle of fine wire but that slipped into the box before I took the photo and I didn't notice it being missing until just now!)

Like I said, lots o bits! I'm really looking forward to starting this :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
WOW I am looking forwards to seeing this go together.

Ian M

C

CDW

Looks like "fiddly-bits-a-plenty" there Andrew.

Looking forward to seeing it finished ...

B

Boldman

Constrcution has finally begun after the long build that was the Thunderbirds Firefly!

First off the stand and the wiring that will transfer power up to the model

Here you can see the stand modified to include the 2 pin plug that will transfer power up into the model. In the background you can see the modified lower fuselage part which has the socket attached in an enlarged slot. The wires from the plug are enclosed in groves either side of the top of the stand that have then been covered over with thin plastic card, then travel down another groove cut into the end of the vertical part of the stand to disappear into the base itself. Another plug exists the base to connect with the power supply.

Wires on the underside of the base. Next is to drill out the exhaust ports in the engine nacelles for the coloured inserts

You can see the blue inserts here as well.

Lower wing is under construction with lots of filling and sanding.

In this photo you can also see the female 2 pin plug that the stand will fit into which will transfer power into the model itself. This will be powered by a 12 volt power supply - fortunately my Meccano collection has a perfect candidate for this, an old Hornby railway controller which has 12v DC static connectors.

Next will be adding the main body (seen top right in the above pic), drilling out the engine nacelles to take the LEDs, wiring up the LEDs and fibre-optics for the lower engines.

View attachment 41596

View attachment 41597

View attachment 41598

View attachment 41599

DSCF4797.jpg

DSCF4791.jpg

DSCF4792.jpg

DSCF4793.jpg

Last edited:
B

Boldman

Some progress was made just before Christmas but I forgot to update here.

The top wing has been joined and sanded but thats basically the same as the lower wing so not that interesting although the grand canyon-like seams took quite a bit of filler and sanding. However the most important progress has been on the electrics...

The soldering iron came out along with the Meccano electrics box to supply extra wire since the amount supplied with the lighting kit is very minimal. LED were soldered ans work performed with fibre-optic cable and heat shrink tubing...

View attachment 38194

Here you can see one of the lower wing engine nacells with the pair of blue LEDs fitted. One will directly illuminate the rear exhausts which have been drilled out for the blue lenses while the other LED is butted up against the end of the fibre optic cable and joined using some heat-shrink tubing. The fibres can then be split to provide lighting for the retro and manoeuvring jets.

Connecting it all up to the 12 v DC supply, usually used to power Meccano Fairground rides (eg

I've put this build on hold for now as I'm having much to much fun building the Mustang and Sara and her chainmail bikini. The Mustang should be completed in a week or so, at which point I'll return to the Starfury with renewed vigour!!

Today's Koshism: Ah, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music, not the song.

View attachment 42300

View attachment 42301

View attachment 42302

View attachment 42303

DSCF4864.jpg

DSCF4865.jpg

DSCF4867.jpg

DSCF5042.jpg

B

Boldman

Lots of progress but its all small bits which don't photograph very well!

The 4 main engine exhausts have been painted and the blue inserts added so that when they are lit it looks like this:

and in the dark even better!

After this, all 4 lighting setups have been installed in the engine pods and the upper wing closed up. An exercise of cautious soldering attached the wires for the lower wing to the circuit board which has now been installed in the main body. The circuit board is held in place with PVA glue.

All the other exhaust ports have been drilled and painted. The whole body has been given its main coat of paint, the resin guns have been cleaned up and scrubbed adn this weekend will get drilled out a bit more then painted up. The canopy has had its coat of Klear and masked up.

The main bit of work the latter part of this week has been the cockpit. This is the transparent resin replacement. The bits that were to remain transparent to allow the lights to shine thorugh were masked up and two coats of matt black were painted on the rest. Then the cockpit colours were added. Using some photos off the net of the actual cockpit set, I could match the colours. Funnily enough it looked like the main part of the interior was cockpit green!

Then the decals went on and the pilot painted up. I tried to put the faceplate decal on but it was just too thick and wouldn't settle down even with lots of micro sol and set, so I cleaned it off and painted it gloss black.

Then here it is as a test fit (ignore the wonky upper wings, that just coz its only sitting on the top)

and here it is backlit with orange and white

This weekend I'm going to try to source a couple of 6v batteries I can put in series to get a portable 12v power supply. The mains power is an old Hornby train controller that came from my Meccano collection, but it that might not always be possible to use that, eg Farnborough IPMS has all the models on tables in the middle of the room so to get power to it I'd have to stretch a lead across the floor and I'm certain SOMEONE will trip over it and CRASH!!!

Today Koshism: "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

View attachment 43330

View attachment 43331

View attachment 43332

View attachment 43333

View attachment 43334

View attachment 43335

DSCF5098.jpg

DSCF5096.jpg

DSCF5097.jpg

DSCF5093.jpg

DSCF5091.jpg

DSCF5101.jpg

Last edited:
B

Boldman

I forgot last night but here is also the back plate which has had some work done on it such as drilling out the various protrusions and a lick of paint...

You can also see the exhaust covers for the lesser exhausts there.

B

Boldman

Hmm, I seem to be talking to myself in here, guess that must mean nobody is interested in this build anymore...

B

Boldman

Still plugging away trying to make this thing progress but I'm finding it hard work for some reason :sad:

Painted the guns now and they look pretty nifty

View attachment 39797

Been having trouble getting the top and bottom wings to fit so that the back panel lines up properly. This sort of rings a bell from the one I built years ago. The back panel doesn't fit very well at all and with the altertered constrcution order I've had to employ to fit the lighting in, getting a good finish on that is going to be hard work!

You can see in the background the leading edges have been painted a darker grey and unseen the vanes that attach to the engines have been painted and the indented panels highlighted. My target now is to complete for Monday week, which is the IPMS Farnborough meeting, so I'd best get cracking!

View attachment 43598

DSCF5109.jpg