The return of Dusty Bin 1/35 Scala MG Panzernest .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
they were used in the Eastern campaign , don't know how many were built.
Also in North-West Europe and Italy, but I can’t find quickly how many were built.

God knows what It was like inside when it was hit
This page says the armour at the front was 115 mm, so if it was hit by something like a tank gun round, I think the two occupants were going to be deaf for a while but quite likely not much more than that.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Also in North-West Europe and Italy, but I can’t find quickly know how many were built.

This page says the armour at the front was 115 mm, so if it was hit by something like a tank gun round, I think the two occupants were going to be deaf for a while but quite likely not much more than that.
Like having your head in Big Ben when it strikes I should think……

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Here I am in a beautiful, isolated cottage in the Brecon Beacons having a quick look at the forum before tea and me old mate comes up with summat I've never heard of.
Despite it's shortcomings it will look great in one of your dios. That 1/72 one is superb. Thanks for all the info on this contraption.
Jim
Thanks Jim , glad your enjoying the break .

John,
You do have an eye for the unusual.
Some things just catch the attention Paul , this is one such item.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Same here John, was going to make a note of it...very queer looking subject. To show its mobility are you going to build it being tipped over while being fitted to a trench?

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for all the info John.

I'm not saying it is the oddest thing I've ever seen in connection with the war but it's got to be up there. I kind of get the idea but at the same time it seems an awful lot of with work for not much gain as Tim suggested.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It took a while, but I found the article I mentioned earlier. It turns out my memory was a little faulty — Zaloga didn’t add much detail to the insides because it’s hard to see, but the article does include American photos of the interior of a captured Panzernest. If you want, I could scan those?

Here are some photos of the vignette he built with it, by the way.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jakko .
Great photos , I can now make sense of how the gun support goes together.
Have ordered another kit along with
MB3538.jpg
This will be used minus the civilians and cart to pull the built one .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'ts all arrived form Hannants this morning.
That should work very well. Maybe a nice muddy track??
Still deciding Jim if to show it in a that sort of display, with lots of lovely mud :smiling3: or in an urban one as I've seen.That would include a wall as well.
Same here John, was going to make a note of it...very queer looking subject. To show its mobility are you going to build it being tipped over while being fitted to a trench?

Cheers,
Richard
Good question Richard, it depend on if the horses would suit as if they were being walked away as it is tipped in. The new model will just stand at the side with the back cut off to allow a scratch built inside.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see you taking another bite of dusty John. I wonder how many of these were actually used? Seems like an idea developed from the experiences of the First World War and then applied to the second. After all, once you’ve dug the hole for it, then you already have an emplacement….why drop a big lump of steel in there….
Hi Tim , just been doing further searches , have found some interesting facts .
Total no thought to have been made were 300.
100 western front
100 Italian front
100 Eastern Front.
These were made in Germany and by more than one manufacturer. Along with some made in Czechoslovakia .There is talk that the Italians made more with Fiat being named. Apparently they were used at Monte cassino and were considered most effective

Gets more interesting the deeper you go !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Tim , just been doing further searches , have found some interesting facts .
Total no thought to have been made were 300.
100 western front
100 Italian front
100 Eastern Front.
These were made in Germany and by more than one manufacturer. Along with some made in Czechoslovakia .There is talk that the Italians made more with Fiat being named. Apparently they were used at Monte cassino and were considered most effective

Gets more interesting the deeper you go !
An emplacement with all round cover is slightly more safer from overhead artillery shrapnel, air strikes and concealment.

Cheers,
Richard