The Road to Singapore: Malaya 1941-42

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Stunning work on the inside of the tank!!

Well done.

Andrew

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks folks.

So I decided to get cracking on the rubber trees...

A bit of research led me to believe that the trees we are looking at in the images go by the Latin name Hevea brasiliensis and are described thus: "Typically 30-40 m tall with a leafy crown. The trunk is cylindrical, unbranched up a long way and then with much-branched leafy canopy, but frequently swollen towards the base. The bark is pale to dark brown with a smooth surface and the inner bark pale brown with abundant white or cream coloured latex."

I started off by making a rough scale drawing based on images I had found on the internet. This was mainly to remind me of the correct proportions and height: 35cms. This is not intended to be true scale height because they would appear to tall (I believe this has much to do with the fact that, close up, we tend to look up at trees, thus for-shortening them in our mind's eye).

Pnj6qgg.jpg

The trees were then constructed using the Gordon Gravett method, i.e. start from the top of the tree and work your way down. Although his trees are generally designed in a smaller scale (for model railways) it seems to work just as well in this larger scale. The florist's wire I used, which comes in handy 35 cm lengths, is actually the same brand that he uses! The best guage is the smallest: 30 gauge.

2eYRfWP.jpg

Twisting the wire into shape can be done easily by hand, although pliers help for some of the bigger twists lower down. As you can see, you make a number of separate assemblies which are then combined to make a larger branch or part of the trunk.

zdtcEmS.jpg

Denm0KV.jpg

In order to make more smaller branches / twigs at the tips I came up with my own trick: looping the single wire around on itself, twisting it back on itself and then snipping the loop to separate it.

iwWi4QW.jpg

RkX4C8C.jpg

Having said all of that, assembling the trees into a realistic and accurate shape was not as easy as I thought. I made quite a mess of the fuse wire used to bind the clumps of wires in place, which is why I resorted to using masking tape to cover up some of the roughest areas.

Here are the trees temporarily installed...

RB6Islu.jpg

YiCrC58.jpg

I then coated the trees with PVA glue. Here, however, I made a schoolboy error. For some inexplicable reason I decided to hang them upside down whilst waiting for them to dry. I guess I was thinking that the glue would run towards the tips of the branches and help to create a graceful point. It didn't and instead formed some ugly lumps. However, I am confident that this will all be hidden when it comes time to add the foliage.

The next stage is messy - and fun. Basically you make a mixture of PVA and plaster powder (I used a ceiling product called Artex recommended by Gordon) and add some colour (I used acrylic brown paint) and then 'paint' it onto the trees. After a few coats were applied and left to dry, I sanded them down to try and make them as round and smooth as possible.

qC2Ck9t.jpg

Initially I started making the fallen tree (which should be behind, not in front of, the Ha-Go, unlike my earlier shots) using the same method, but I felt that it just didn't look right. So in the end that tree ended up joining the others at the back of the diorama and I constructed another using real dried heather branches, a wooden dowel and some masking tape. It has yet to be covered with the PVA / ARtex mix, however.

So finally here some shots of the diorama with all the trees assembled, but yet to be painted. I have some foliage on its way. The road, buy the way, has only been started by gluing a thin cork mat into place.

9VSomIe.jpg

OsZHugn.jpg

UEsoAfg.jpg

HZzt3kz.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't see anything unnatural about them, so if the lumps are still there they seem, to me at least, to be part of the tree. I think its an excellent method and I am going to remember the wire tricks for some tree work I have in mind for the future. Thanks for posting the steps you took to make these Tim. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good effort Tim. Are you able to thin the main stem as rubber trees can be quite slender and they harvest better when younger. First tree at the top of your last image would be just right. The estates I've been to have stems roughly a foot in diameter and they would all be like clones in a row. The scaling down would also help from having the trees overpower the scene I think. Not necessary to follow my suggestion. Thought I'd just mention it. I'm trying to find pictures I took for reference but seem to have misplaced it.

Can't seem to paste the image I have of tappers tapping which will show size and scale.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tim, looking at your first reference pictures of the battle may give an indication of the thickness of the tree. Also I have inserted an image I found that may help.

unnamed.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry, work has kept me from posting for a while. Here is some more progress on the trees and landscape.

3293378_a575b85e9588ee1a2357dbb422a496c9_t.jpg
3293378_b7ea7c267417cb57e78a3e314f970a76_t.jpg

Having given the terrain a layer of Das I then gave it a liberal coating of Vallejo Earth Texture. This is great stuff - it just covers so well and gives instant colour and texture. None of this has been done with much care because almost every millimetre is going to be covered with vegetation of some kind. For the tarmac road I used Galeria Sand Texture Gel.

3293378_bccb9527aec10f0c3113ec9c7019c5ef_t.jpg
3293378_a8e127e33bdd8765a1d6ef3a277070f5_t.jpg
3293378_dcbe8f146a84e7b4196acf1dde51caf3_t.jpg

Now back to the trees.

Richard, I have taken on board your comments and I welcome many more. Looking at the images of the Muar River action, it may be that the trees at that time (or perhaps in that area) were not as neatly cultivated as they are today. For example, they branch out quite a bit lower than thos I have seen on the web.

It may not be obvious from the shots above, but I went back to work on some of them, sanding them, adding some more Artex / PVA mix and then sanding them again. The aim was to try and make them as rounded and regular as I could; these aren't supposed to be gnarly old oak trees!

Although I'm not 100%, I feel that this is the best I am going to achieve unless I start all over again.

I then gave them a blast of colour which I mixed from Vallejo acrylic primer (plentiful and cheap). The colours I used were simply what I had: black, white, German dark yellow and track colour. As I went I added more white to give them some highlights. It's a solid undercoat for what I plan to do next.

3293378_555be16d1df10ad5048638994394f526_t.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Much improved trees. All looking good. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tim, yes the trees are looking better. There was once a comment from a Japanese tourist travelling on one of our trunk roads and said that our jungle was so neat not knowing he was passing rubber plantations with their neat rows of trees. I think there were strict instructions on planting rubber trees for best yields of the sap. I used to think it was done so the tappers were safe from tiger attacks. There weren't any machinse to tap and its done by hand to this day so the wide berth must be to let the canopy of leaves to breath and letting in some sunlight.

Cheers,
Richard.

Reactions: JR

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks everyone.

The next stage was to give the trees some more colour.

Looking at the images from Muar River, this one provides a useful close-up of the bark pattern on these rubber trees.

4efM8PQ.jpg

This pattern of blotches, with the lighter bark peeling off to reveal the darker bark beneath, actually looks quite a lot like the plane trees that are very common here in London.

20200616_163749.jpg

Painting the trees was a little like a German uniform camouflage, except on a larger scale. I used three Vallejo colours: tan earth, aged white and cement.

20200619_182029.jpg

These were applied with a brush in fairly random patterns and then the steps were repeated with the same tones mixed slightly with one another. Sometimes I covered quite a large area with a connected pattern of colour, sometimes I used spots.

I then repeated these steps using cotton buds to 'stamp' the same colours onto the trunks in an attempt to replicate those distinctive larger spots. It's a little like doing an Impressionist painting. I managed to get through all seven trees in a couple of hours.

All in all I'm quite happy with the outcome. I'm hoping the pattern will stand out better once the foliage and bushes are all in place to provide a contrast. To give everything a head start I painted the edges of the base black because this always lightens the tones and helps the colours to pop out.

20200621_152617.jpg
20200621_152704.jpg
20200620_174745.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tree bark looks spot on. Nicely observed Tim.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work on the trees Tim.
Esp like the layout, gives some depth to the diorama.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thankyou gentlemen.

Let the foliage commence!

zuT734i.jpg

Foliage can be one of the most difficult parts of tree making.

We know there are various methods out there, but I have previously worked with products from Mininatur (called Silflor in the US) when I made the olive tree for my Italian diorama (and I also used it for ivy on the bridge).

lzy1FXS.jpg

They make a large range of different leaf types and use a sort of netting with the individual leaves attached.

There are pros and cons with this stuff. The biggest advantage to me is the fact that the actual leaves are well stuck on to the netting and so you are less likely to suffer from the sort of 'arborial dandruff' that you can get with other methods.

The structure of the netting also provides you with that all-important twig layer which would otherwise take an awfully long time to make. I have see people make this out of sea foam, for instance, but it seems very fiddly and I simply wasn't prepared to contemplate this for my SEVEN trees.

The disadvantage is that the sheets, although three-dimensional, are quite thin and so it is hard to give them the shape of the real foliage, rather than a tree that has simply been draped with sheets of the fake stuff.

To give my trees a bit more depth, I actually used two different types: Beech Foliage Spring 920-31 and Beech Foliage Summer 920-32. I started with the latter, which is darker, to build up the foliage which would be at the bottom or the middle and then used the lighter spring version to cover the upper / outer parts of the tree.

yKWRtm6.jpg

I have to say that I was very pleased / relieved with the result! It's also good to see how the colouring of the tree trunks seems to stand out more now that it has something to compete against.

DiKrFyl.jpg