"The surrender ( if looks could kill!)"

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I admire your determination to get the exact look your after, but to me, a none figure type person, they look absolutely spot on.

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Blimey... Many Thanks everyone... I'm really pleased that you all seem to like what I'm doing and I'm also enjoying doing it!

I have managed to settle the eyes on the last figure... just checked it on extreme close up on my phones camera and the eyes seem to balance... I know its the naked eye that counts but a blown up photograph can also be a useful tool... as its on my phone and I'm using the PC I will post another pic of the "final" face in a moment!
Many Thanks
Jason.

D

Deleted member 6559

Fine work Jason - a lovely painterly quality.

As for close-ups, well, useful for detailing purposes, but it's a matter of what the eye can actually see, related to the scale - pull back a bit and you get the level of detail you'd actually be able to see in reality - not half as much as you've managed here, so well done. It's very hard to be objective when figure painting, as I know to my cost.

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Hi all,
Many Thanks again chaps!
I do take your point Peter and even though I know it cant be seen by the naked eye, I still find myself aching to get it right... I think we all do it in our own ways...its the same a painting the insides or undersides of vehicles even though we know they are not going to be seen... those eyes not lining up was almost keeping me awake at night!!!

Anyway at least I'm happy with it now... This third figure is just about done so I will post the final pics later... then there just the task of positioning the figures on the base so they are all looking where I want them to... which is proving much more difficult than I anticipated it would!!
Thanks
Jason.

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well done. Reminds me of a character in Band of Brothers. PaulE

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Thanks Paul... it wasn’t intentional but he reminds me of Lewis Nixon in Band if Brothers...????
This is about finished... just a bit of work on the webbing at the back and the tops of the buckle boots / gaiters and then on with the setting!
F0A47F92-AE7D-48EB-9BAE-72AE2AFF3105.jpeg
63389B8D-1093-4086-B278-88E2472840E5.jpeg
4FF7D248-A0DE-4E8C-82C9-31330FF5B777.jpeg
thanks for looking in!
Jason

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Hi all...
Bit of a disaster to report I’m afraid...
I was giving a paint bottle a vigorous shake and managed to bash my German figure on the head in the process!
The result was a broken neck, hand snapped off at the wrist and a missing finger!
FA2D49AC-E2FA-4008-8817-06D4C84541E7.jpeg
my attempts at a repair are not good having made a completely new finger and really struggled to secure the wrist... I was contemplating covering it up with a white flag but It wouldn’t look right and having struggled to source a replacement figure, I thought I’d drop an email to the makers “Stalingrad Miniatures”.
So I’m pleased to say that my email was responded to and Alexander from “Stalingrad” has offered to send me a replacement arm... for which I am very grateful....
Hopefully more progress soon!
Many Thanks
Jason

• Sad

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
...on the plus side the enforced delay has given me the excuse to make a start on a slightly larger scale U Boat captain which I’ve had for quite a while.... I will probably post this under a different thread as it will get shelved once the replacement arm arrives... but here’s progress for now...
7622FE43-E9E5-4D3C-BBC7-FC3C4335D8F7.jpeg
9BB21C9B-B8B8-497E-AE95-4086C8ABECD4.jpeg
thanks
Jason

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH that's a pity Jason as it was lookin good but you will win through an get it back to how it was as that's what I think if you make a clanger its put rightable
chris

D

Deleted member 6559

Lovely work on the U-Boat captain Jason. Sorry to hear about the accident with the other figure - at least you didn't bin it in a rage as I would probably have done.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Jason, sorry I've missed so much.
On the 1/35 figures I have to say " in my dreams".
As to the captain, well what's not to like, the eyes are quite frightening, they look so real .
On the last photo if you hand wasn't in shot anyone would think it was real.Cap material is class.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jason,
I have decided not to bother doing figures any more lol. Great work mate.

• Haha

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Cheers all... many thanks for that... I’ve made more progress whilst waiting for my replacement part so I will continue the boat captain under another thread.
Thanks again
Jason