The Three Musketeers ( all 4 of them ) !

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This is going to be my project over the rest of the winter. The figures were a Christmas present from my dearly beloved. She must have been watching what I had been perusing, although she did ask me to order them. I would normally buy my figures from El Greco Miniatures, but since Brexit anything I get from the UK is charged VAT and Customs Duty, making them costly. I purchased these straight from Alexandros Models themselves. Alexandre is a good bloke to deal with, nothing is too much trouble. Being within the EU there are no extra charges. Anyway these will take awhile as being January it is the time of year when I should be pruning my Olive and Lemon Trees, as well as the Grape Vines. The weather at the moment is not helping that. It is either stonking with rain or blowing a gale, sometimes both. Painting seems a better bet than being outside.
IMG_0555.JPG
These are the figures. I shall be painting them one at a time. Until I get started.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Lovely looking figures. What scale are they. Certainly an opportunity for some colourful painting.
Jim

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Jim, they are 75mm scale. I find this is just a nice size to work on.
John.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
They will certainly keep you busy John, lucky you having Olive's, Lemons and Grape vines. Sounds idyllic in the summer .

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
John

they are great looking figures, i'm envious and will follow your build with interest.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting set of little chaps there John. They will make a very characterful display.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Oh looking forward to seeing these progress. The casting and details on Alexandros figures are superb!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Figure No 1. d'Artagnan. I have chosen this to start with, as it looks the least complicated. I haven't painted a figure for over 4 years so need to get back into the swing of it.
These are the main pieces. There are another 10 smaller bits and bobs to attach.
IMG_0557A.JPG
The paint bottle is just for the obligatory scale shot. I am not painting him Purple !! As you can see I have undercoated his face and hand. The main painting will be done with acrylics. The flesh will be acrylic undercoat and finished with oils. I find it easier to get a realistic face this way. All parts have been washed in warm soapy water and well rinsed. Until next time.
John.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes, Steve they are WM. I think all the 75mm's are.
I have made a start. The main torso is assembled. I usually use 5 minute epoxy. If possible on pieces like arms where there are locating pegs I put the epoxy round the rim (where it will squeeze out and act as filler) and a spot of CA on the peg. This way when the CA grabs it will hold the pieces together while the Epoxy sets. Saves on clamps and achy fingers. IMG_0561A.JPG
I like to assemble as much as possible before painting, but on these figures the arms definately get in the way, so they will be painted separately and then attached. I have also managed to undercoat his boots. Looks crummy at this stage. All C&Cs welcome.
John.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's coming along nicely John....it does look as though the "shoeshine" boy has been busy! ;) Rick H.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cheers, Rick. I think the "shoe-unshine boy" will have to get to work.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I didn't realise they were white metal. Off to a good start.
Jim

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Very nice John.
This looks like something I should have a go at.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well, Dr Frank Einstein ( AKA me ) has got a bit more done to his creation. He now has a head and both arms, although he is still missing his right hand. This hand/sword hilt comprises of 3 parts so needs careful construction to enable it to fit correctly. The big silver lump on his head is not some hideous 17c disease ! It is where his hat fits. Viewed from the obligatory 2 feet away he looks reasonable although there is touching up to be done.
IMG_0575A.JPG
As always, C&Cs welcome.
John.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just arrived (in time for you to finish!) loving the work, never worked with acrylics or oils, tempting when I see the results that people get with them.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well, I think I can call this one done. I don't remember reading these books as a child, although I have seen one or two of the films. I always just presumed that the characters were fictitious but, researching for this build, I have found that they are based on actual people. This character, d'Artagnan himself, is based on "Charles de Batz de Castelmore d'Artagnan" a very distinguished Musketeer who was promoted through the ranks ,eventually becoming Captain of Musketeers before his death at the siege of Maastricht during the Franco-Dutch war. ( He was hit in the throat with a musket ball.) So the man himself. IMG_0576A.JPG
IMG_0577A.JPG
IMG_0582A.JPG
The base is not finished. This will be done as one with the rest, to tie them together.
All comment and abuse gratefully received.
John.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
coming along nicely, looks like some of the paint has come away. did you prime them before you started painting them ?