They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think that's all the scratching this gun will have. Not doing the cradle arms a sit won't be seen in the bunker and neither would the breech and pistol grip handles. A bottle of TET for size comparison...

E147.jpgE148.jpg

Next to paint metaliser on the copper surfaces and prime before painting.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Daaaaamn that looks super coool...love it well done Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Greg and Jim, for the kind comment. Now I'm at loggerheads to put it in the bunker or at least part of it showing blown out of the bunker. Hmmm :thinking:
Just remembered must add the strip of ammo clip.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think you should mount this on its own base Richard. When you did the comparison photo WOW !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Outstanding work there Richard. Top draw!!!

ATB.

Andrew

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent work Richard. Another miniature masterpiece. Is there no stopping you ? I could do with some lessons !!
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Think you should mount this on its own base Richard. When you did the comparison photo WOW !
Yes John , I might just pop it into the bunker and see what juts out that I may need to cast. Then perhaps do the cradle legs.

Outstanding work there Richard. Top draw!!!

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew.

Great work on the MG Richard.
Thank you too Ian.

Excellent work Richard. Another miniature masterpiece. Is there no stopping you ? I could do with some lessons !!
John.
Thanks John, the skies the limit if you put your mind to it.

Richard, excellent scratchery my friend.
Scottie/Paul, not as tiny and clean as yours though.

Today is rest day and letting the metaliser cure. Then I'll think about how to cast it. Someone has asked me to also cast the Mk5 Jungle Enfield....it's so flimsy I don't know if the resin is tough enough for the tiny barrel.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

I finally solved a way of casting the Type 92 and first started of by plugging any holes that would plug and prevent the cast from being extricated. I used white glue to seal with a thin membrane.

LO251.jpg

Then I placed escape funnels in places that could be a trap for bubbles gluing thin rod. Then I fitted a small portion of the gun into plasticine.

LO252.jpg

Made a reservoir with card and sealed all gaps with white glue.

LO253.jpg

Poured in the two part mix of RTV into the first half...after curing, pealed the plasticine off and poured in the other half to produce what is below. You will notice I had put in some locking joints by poking the plasticine prior to pouring the RTV.

LO254.jpg

Mixed up the resin and using a syringe, squirtered the mixture into the mould and left it to cure. This takes roughly about 8 hrs.

LO255.jpg

Whatever extras I had from the mixtures I made moulds and casts for the marine knapsack. You can see the casting still imbedded in the mould.

LO256.jpg

It's out out of the mould and looks pretty good. It does suffer from a large bubble near the cradle arm which can easily be filled up. I need to find a way to avoid the bubble in the next casting.

LO257.jpg

Overall looks good enough for my dio. The front sights only has one of the guards so I'll just fashion a new sight guard from copper sheet.

So John R, the gun will be standing on it's own once I scratch the tri-pod. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looks to have been a success. Looks odd being in clear resin. The stuff I use is a creamy white and only takes less than an hour to cure completely.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, I use the clear slow drying stuff 'cos I can take my time with the pour and lets all tiny bubbles to raise to the surface. I also find that details are captured and slightly more refined.

It'll be great if I can source a suitable curing time resin that doesn't bubble with reaction.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yesterday I cast another and this time from lessons learnt it looked even better. Every detail came out and there were no bubbles.

LO258.jpg

The better one is on the right. Then I held it up against the light...only one or two bubbles inside the casting.

LO259.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant results! Very well done Richard.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fabulous work Richard. Casting is excellent as well…..