They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Excellent. It is not an easy thing to cast. Two part moulds are also more complicated.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That looks seriously good Richard!!!
Thanks Jack, I don't normally cast unless there is a need for it.

Richard,

I will have to have a go at this dark art one day. The results are excellent mate.
You should Scottie after all the detail you've put into your scratches and replicating another for a future similar build.

Brilliant results! Very well done Richard.
Thank you Andrew.

Fabulous work Richard. Casting is excellent as well…..
Thanks Tim, casting is a hit and miss for me...sometimes I get lucky.

Excellent job on a very challenging subject, Richard.
Top marks, sir!
Thank you Neil, challenging it was figuring the bubble traps and angle of extrication.

Hi Richard
Excellent. It is not an easy thing to cast. Two part moulds are also more complicated.
Jim
Thank you Jim, the join of the two part mould had a few options before deciding on this one.

I am now tackling casting the Mk5 Jungle Enfields and no doubt after I have done it out pops a kit just like the M-14 from Dragon which are found in the Mule kit and Vietnam weapons set. There's no Stanley sub-machine gun I've seen yet so might try scratching that and making copies. If you want to model an Australian patrol in Malaya or Vietnam, you need one of those.

Cheers,
Richard

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Richard, as usual in awe of your skills. Never tried casting so appears to me a black art. You mention a Stanley sub-machine gun. Do you mean the Owen gun ? Or have I missed one?
Keep on with this brilliant work.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard, as usual in awe of your skills. Never tried casting so appears to me a black art. You mention a Stanley sub-machine gun. Do you mean the Owen gun ? Or have I missed one?
Keep on with this brilliant work.
John.
Thanks John, yes it's the Owen I'm talking about. Don't know if there's a kit of it in 1/35. The latest Battle of Long Tan movie Danger Close do feature it used. In the showreels of the Malayan Emergency and Confrontation shows Aussie troops using them. The other Commonwealth troops use either the Sten Mk4 or the Sterling.
I may make a modification to one of the SLR's into an automatic light machine gun by substituting the barrel grip to flip bi-pod arms and lengthening the magazine. Both the SAS and Malaysian troops were equipped with these modified arms.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, what do you think if I move this portion on casting to the tips section as I'm veering of the Pacific dio a bit.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
......no words.....l can't wait to see more. :smiling: :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Apologies for the late reply Greg, the kittens we rescued on Monday have been a handfull just like nursing babies. They're still half blind and yet to stand and walk. Wriggly buggers with sharp claws.
So any progress will be slow but I have managed to cast some rifles.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Apologies for the late reply Greg, the kittens we rescued on Monday have been a handfull just like nursing babies. They're still half blind and yet to stand and walk. Wriggly buggers with sharp claws.
So any progress will be slow but I have managed to cast some rifles.

Cheers,
Richard
We need to see pictures of those monsters :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Greg, unfortunately they don't sit still for portraits. :smiling6: Will try to get some when they sleep.

Any way here are pics of things that are still... my stash of casts for the dio, not the two heads on the left that are for the Israeli Tiran T-55.

LO260.jpg

I'll choose the worst of the castings for the battered gun in the bunker.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Those castings look to have turned out really well.
Jim
Thanks Jim, some hits and misses.

They look good mate. Is it hard to see any bubbles or defects given it is clear?
Thanks Scottie, it is quite but holding it at angles against the light helps. The test is when coat of primer is put on.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Suberb work Richard, that's something I would love to learn .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Suberb work Richard, that's something I would love to learn .
Hi John, thanks. There's nothing much to learn, just follow instructions, have a glass surface to work on, lego bricks for the well, pva to seal the bricks to the surface, three small disposable pouring cups...one each for part A and B and one for mixing, gloves if you're messy, plasticine, WD40 applied to one side of the rubber mold...the part doesn't need any releasing agent as the rubber doesn't stick to it.
That's all to it. Just study where all the critical bubble points are and just connect with vents using wire and CA. Basically its all logic thinking put into place.
This is just an amateur set up. The professionals have stuff like pressure pumps and micro scales and more.

Cheers,
Richard.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Stunning!!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Brilliant, stunned into silence - lost for words.
So much further ahead than I am, bit like comparing a Model T Ford with a Teslar!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Andrew and Gerry, apologies for the late response. Have been concentrating on my Constipation and a friends Knox.
We all start somewhere...I just began the hobby many moons ago when the Vietnam war was still raging.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
It's been nearly a year since I last touched this dio. Thought I'd work on it for the clubs year end meet and mini comp.
Took some shots before I started...
20221022_222350.jpg20221022_222043.jpg20221022_222108.jpg20221022_222114.jpg
Lots of repainting of the figures to give them some differences and not looking like factory clones. More scorched fauna and coconuts.

Cheers,
Richard