Thinking of a 3D printer

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good point Brian. I've not really looked into it much but I guess you wouldn't want to be just putting it down the drain!

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
My tuppence worth if I may...I had the chance to get my brother-in-laws very cheap when he upgraded. A Voxelab Aries. Decent beginner model, comes already built, easy enough to use, incredibly difficult to master!
I have however made some equipment for my modelling, from freely available files.
The paint carousel in particular is such a space saver and extra levels can be added easily. Also some bottle holders to help keep workspace just that bit more organised. These can also easily be scaled up/down according to bottle sizes.
TinkerCad is a great free program and fairly easy to get a grip of for simple designs you can do yourself.
I've also printed off some 1/35 accessories, ammo boxes, fuel cans, weapons boxes etc to add to my builds. I would struggle to make anything smaller as the detail would just not be there, and that's the limitation of filament printing.
I know it's something I'm finding useful just now but I also know I'll run out of useful things to print very quickly, at which point it'll be rarely used. I would definitely go the used route if you can, and if you decide to upgrade later then great. If it becomes an ornament then no great loss.IMG20240217202212.jpgIMG20240217202110.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think evaporation is probably less effort than the filtering.
I've tried the filtering idea with saturated IPA- now THAT'S a faff!
Using the wrong sort of filter probably there Neil. IPA needs a hydrophobic (water hating) filter, like an oil filter, I think. You were probably using a hydrophilic (water liking) type.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was using a paint filter Tim,as supplied with the printer... which do you think that would be?
Depends on the paint type ;) If it’s for acrylics then it would be a hydrophilic type. If it’s for lacquers then it would be hydrophobic.

This came to mind because at work we used to use IPA to wet out air filters prior to forward flow testing (shows filter efficacy before use). We had to use this as air filters are very hydrophobic. They will not allow water through at all. The testing regime was changed later, to something called bubble point testing that worked on pressure decay, so we could use purified water instead…..bit of a shame really because I used to use the residual out of date IPA as part of my vinyl record cleaning regime.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
This is my IPA/Resin filter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

water washable is something I haven't used, and have no intention of trying, having seen too many horror stories about it being harder to deal with than isopropyl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the ''gurus'' suggest coffee filters for filtering with a normal funnel system.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That mesh should easily remove cured resin bits Gary. Looks very like the tamping disc that came with my espresso maker. Must admit, the first thing I would have tried if I was doing it would be a percolator filter. Gravity feed would be pretty slow though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have this too, but it doesn't take very long before it clogs. Maybe I have to persevere
Just set it up and leave it overnight. Failing that, because they are quite fine, just buy some coarse filter papers (100um) and run one over the other to take out coarse particles first, so protecting the fine filter from blinding. You could also cut up an airbrush booth filter and use that at the bottom of a funnel. It should do what you want.