Thinner alternative

First Name
Carl
I’m currently using Tamiya x-20a to clean my airbrush after spraying my acyrilic paint. Is there an alternative cheaper option I can order as the Tamiya is quite expensive and comes in quite small 250ml bottles.
Regards Carl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Windscreen washer concentrate, or IPA - isopropyl alcohol, not beer!
Pete

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi

I've discovered that "Muc-Off" which is designed for cleaning bikes seems to do the trick for cleaning after acrylics - I have a 5 litre container that the Mrs bought me so I'm well stocked.

Mark

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Windex works as well, if you can get it!

D

Deleted member 7917

I'm using a 50/50 blend of de-ionised water and isopropyl alcohol for cleaning only, not as a replacement for thinners.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Windscreen washer concentrate, or IPA - isopropyl alcohol, not beer!
I’ll second that. I’ve got a one-litre bottle of Halfords windscreen wiper fluid that I just take a few millilitres out of with a syringe when I need to thin acrylic paint (usually for airbrushing, but it also works well to revitalise paint that has gone thick). I think that for the price of one Tamiya bottle of X-20A, I could have bought four or five of these. (Not anymore, because Halfords doesn’t exist anymore in this country, but hey, I still have about 3/4 of a bottle anyway :smiling3:)

First Name
Carl
Hi

I've discovered that "Muc-Off" which is designed for cleaning bikes seems to do the trick for cleaning after acrylics - I have a 5 litre container that the Mrs bought me so I'm well stocked.

Mark
Think I have some of that although it might be in a spray can, will ha e to check