Thinning paints

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, I have a question, what thinner would you recommend for use with Tamiya and Vallejo color/air, understand Vallejo color is more for brushing is this right. Any help in this area appreciated.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Mark.

I use Vallejo paints only, both the Model AIR and Model colour, so cant say on the Tamiya., other than the guys here seem to say Tamiya's own .

As for thinners I use, either a drop of water or VMS thinners, I have used in the past Vallejos own, and many others depending on what was the cheapest at the time :smiling3:.

I don't use a lot, only a drop or two in the ab paint cup , along with some retarder to stop the tip drying out ,
Every body seems to have their favorite

John

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi, I have a question, what thinner would you recommend for use with Tamiya and Vallejo color/air
I thin Tamiya paint with Halfords windscreen wiper fluid, which is very much like Tamiya X-20A thinner except it has a blue tint to it — and a litre bottle cost me something like €2 as opposed to €7.95 or whatever it was that 250 ml of Tamiya thinner cost around the same time.

Vallejo Model Air shouldn’t need thinning. I haven’t used it much, but when I have, I just put it straight into my airbrush and had no trouble spraying it (though at a higher pressure than most recommend, but that’s because I use an Aztek airbrush, and they seem to need a bit more pressure than most other brands).

understand Vallejo color is more for brushing is this right.
My one attempt at spraying it, thinned with the same windscreen wiper fluid, didn’t go well. It clogged up my airbrush’s nozzle badly enough that I needed to swap it out entirely — even trying to put plain wiper fluid or water through didn’t clear the nozzle.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, never even thought of wiper fluid, wd40 seems to be good for anything as well, do you think they all use the same chemicals, if so I wish I owned the company.