Thinning ratio for tamiya paint sparing

Olivetti20

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I've finally got my airbrush working for my 1st go at spraying.
I'm unsure as to the ratio of thinners/paint i should use.I've tried spraying the underside of a 1/48 Hornet,and ive already filled the cup 4 times,with a mix of 50/50. (Maybe thats normal).I'd just like to know how you pro's do it.It's mr hobby leveller thinners by the way.
Thank you

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’re going through your paint faster than you’d like, turn down the pressure a bit. It’s a bit of a juggling act, though, between enough pressure to spray well and not so much pressure you run out of paint.

Olivetti20

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
If you’re going through your paint faster than you’d like, turn down the pressure a bit. It’s a bit of a juggling act, though, between enough pressure to spray well and not so much pressure you run out of paint.
Thanks but what about the ratio too?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Honestly? I have no idea. I always just pour some thinner into the paint in my airbrush cup until it looks right, then try spraying. If it doesn’t spray well I add more thinner or more paint, depending on whether the paint sputters or runs.

Olivetti20

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Honestly? I have no idea. I always just pour some thinner into the paint in my airbrush cup until it looks right, then try spraying. If it doesn’t spray well I add more thinner or more paint, depending on whether the paint sputters or runs.
So not getting the ratio exactly the same,will not affect the paint shade,but just the viscosity?

D

Deleted member 7181

So not getting the ratio exactly the same,will not affect the paint shade,but just the viscosity?
Correct.

You could argue that the thinner paint will be slightly more transparent, so could give a slightly different colour if you don't put enough on, but providing you're going for full coverage rather than advanced technques of building up transparent layers of paint to give tonal variation, it won't be an issue.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Correct.

You could argue that the thinner paint will be slightly more transparent, so could give a slightly different colour if you don't put enough on, but providing you're going for full coverage rather than advanced technques of building up transparent layers of paint to give tonal variation, it won't be an issue.
Best explanation so far.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree completely. Only caveat is with civilian cars etc. In that case it pays to use the same number of paint coats on each sub assembly so the shades are the same. Lighter doors or a darker bonnet stand out in some cases, especially reds or blues which are inherently transparent and will be modified slightly by the primer colour This is not an issue with military equipment.

D

Deleted member 7181

You have my career in a nutshell there Tim!

Not only do I have to find the correct colour (eased these days by fancy photospectrometers and computer software) but I have to match how it was previously applied, either by the factory or Fred in his shed :smiling5: With some of the fancy colours that are currently in trend, with their tinted clear layers (equivalent to a filter on a scale model), it's not always as easy as it looks.

I've seen many a "show car" that was painted in pieces and can only be displayed with the doors/bonnet/boot open as noting quite matches.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
Your question about paint thinning has been asked many, many times and there is, unfortunately, no definitive answer. There are so many variables. What paint effect are you after, what colour paint (different Tamiya paint colours have a different viscosity), is it a new pot of paint or has it been used (a half used pot will often be thicker than a new pot), what airbrush, what air pressure etc - even the temperature can have an effect.
Many places will say thin to the consistency of semi skimmed milk - that does actually make sense.
With practice you'll get "a feel" for airbrushing.
I do just the same except I mix in a separate container.
I know I haven't helped much but just keep at it and you'll be spraying like a pro in no time.
Jim

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I do just the same except I mix in a separate container.
I should really do that too, but the wasted paint sits wrong with me, and it’s an extra thing to clean :smiling3:

I know I haven't helped much but just keep at it and you'll be spraying like a pro in no time.
Or at least, like the rest of us who aren’t pros ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Guys, even the pros have their off days...they probably have taken years just to approximately balance the amount of paint thinning to their own liking and it takes practice and not an instant thing for today's world. One of the joys of the hobby is discovering the level of achievement at the next stage or build.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes he's earned his title!
Ha, the nickname comes from my day job, but seems a bit out of place and pretentious now that I've been here for a while. Really wish I'd signed up with my real name :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
An admin (not moderator) can change your username for you, if you ask nicely :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

I know it's technically possible but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that they wouldn't. I can't find it now so maybe I imagined it :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
He could ask for that as a custom title :smiling3:

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
I should really do that too, but the wasted paint sits wrong with me, and it’s an extra thing to clean :smiling3:

Or at least, like the rest of us who aren’t pros ;)

I use a separate container to mix my paint/thinner but don't have to clean it up afterwards (I just toss it - or recycle). The container I'm talking about is a screw tap wine bottle lid (or any liquor screw cap). I also like it as it is about the same size as the cup on my airbrush.
I don't drink wine but luckily my wife does and keeps me well stocked with used caps ;)