Thinning vallajo paint

N

noble

Does anyone know if the white topped vallajo paints can be thinned with water like their matt varnish? I have tried using these in my airbrush but no matter how much thinner was applied to the paint it always clogged the airbrush.

scott

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I always use their own thinner which works well, no idea about water but from what I have read using other thinning agents means paint adhesion is affected.

T

tecdes

Not advisable Scott. Use Vallejo thinners.

The thinners has water based resins in it which act rather like a glue to ensure the pint has adhesion to the plastic ( in the case of the primer) & the Vallejo primer in the case of a top coat.

Also if you use an Airbrush at some time Vallejo (not sure of other paints) works better using the Vallejo thinners. Also you will fined it easier to clean brushes & the airbrush compared to water thinners.

Finally do not worry that the thinners is a milky white it does not effect the colour one bit.

Laurie

T

tecdes

PS. You will fined loads of info for Vallejo at http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/pdf_web/CC001.pdf which is a question answer PDF

Laurie

S

snapper41

Just to throw a spaniard in the works (geddit?), I use water to thin Vallejo piant - never had a problem!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Not advisable Scott. Use Vallejo thinners. Finally do not worry that the thinners is a milky white it does not effect the colour one bit.

Laurie
I would second that. Though the paint does look 'paler' in the cup when thinner is added it is not reflected in the finish.

T

tecdes

This question has come up a number up times. So I thought I would test Vallejo recommendations out.

Using model colour & the same measures each time I thinned with water & then another test with Vallejo thinner.

This was over a wing of a 1/72 Spitfire I use for testing Vallejo paint colours. This was wet & dried to give a smooth finish. Found that the Vallejo thinned paint was more creamy & gave better coverage. Something Vallejo missed out on.

Leaving it for 24 hours before applying my scientific test to test scratch & stick ability. This will be performed using my thumb nail !

Laurie

N

noble

Cheers for the info gents, i think i will have a play the model air stuf is in the bottle with the black top and apparently doesn't need to be thinned when airbrushing but the stuff with the white top does hhhhmmmmm.

scott

T

tecdes

Careful here Scott. Vallejo say Model Air is ready for airbrushing.

Think you will find less trouble & just as good a finish thinning. I would guess most on this forum do.

I thin about 33% thinners to 66% paint. Depends on what I am doing. Some times up to 50%. Experience dictates that one.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The white tops, Model color are designed for brush painting, they are however great for airbrushing. Yes they need thinning and The Correct thinner does give a fantastic result, I was a fan of them when I just thinned them with distilled water, and was only having 'issues' if I thinned them too much. Then one day I tried the thinners and I was sold. Gives a better, smother and tougher finish.

Model air are designed to be air brushed, but can be brush painted. Some people thin them further with no ill effect.

Ian M

T

tecdes

\ said:
This question has come up a number up times. So I thought I would test Vallejo recommendations out.Using model colour & the same measures each time I thinned with water & then another test with Vallejo thinner.

This was over a wing of a 1/72 Spitfire I use for testing Vallejo paint colours. This was wet & dried to give a smooth finish. Found that the Vallejo thinned paint was more creamy & gave better coverage. Something Vallejo missed out on.

Leaving it for 24 hours before applying my scientific test to test scratch & stick ability. This will be performed using my thumb nail !

Laurie
Tried the thumb nail test under lab. conditions & amazing did not make an difference to its stickability at all for water or Vallejo thinners. But it does provide using Vallejo thinners more creamy paint & gives a better coverage .

Will try Model Air next. This may be a different result as it is a much thinner paint.

Laurie