This any good?

B

Brickie

Just seen this on ebay and it looks reasonably cheap as these things go, but of course it could be junk. Any opinions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Kit-Airbrush-Compressor-/190587885980?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2c5fec599c#ht_1142wt_1067

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Brickie

The air compressor shown looks exactly like the one I use & which is perfect for intermittent use.

Do not think any one can comment on the airbrushes unless you have the name of the manufacturer & specs.

Can you get these ?

Have to say if the compressor has not been used that is a good price just for that part of the deal.

Laurie

T

tecdes

My apologies missed the name Matt it has got a bit tangled with your checkered red white icon.

Laurie

P

pittnuma

MMM looks similar to mine, I bought a "kit" some time ago after looking for a cheapish compressor, I bought the AS186, came with 2 airbrushes (which immediately went back on ebay), 1 of the brushes looks like the BD-182P that came with mine?

Would have thought if the regulator works OK and the tank then this is a reasonably cheap setup for somebody to "try" their hand at spraying.

Can't fault my AS-186 compressor, great little thing for less than £100, my only thought on this 1 you have linked is the tank does look VERY small...

Here is the same deal as mine, for the money I paid, I cannot fault it.

AS 186 Complete Airbrush Kit + Compressor With Tank | eBay

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Actually Darren it does not have a tank. But providing you are not using the compressor continually you will not need a tank.

The flow is perfect without a tank for airbrushing. You need a tank if you are using the compressor continously or very frequently. The tank will allow the motor to stop & cool down. Not a problem if you are using the tank infrequently.

Laurie

R

Richy C

The compressor looks pretty much like the one I`ve got and if the same is fine , for the airbrushes they are ok to learn with if your starting out , with these airbrushes the down side is getting spares and the rubber o ring seals will melt over a short time if using solvent paints and cleaners , I bought a similar set when I 1st started airbrushing , in my experience the compressor is fine but I did upgrade my airbrushes over time and when finances allowed and moved to the Iwata CR and BR range and the difference in quality is huge .

Richy

B

Brickie

@ Tecdes, It's OK, I don't mind going by my handle.

If it helps, I'll be spraying acrylics (though I may also touch up a few scratches on the car, no idea what that uses) so solvents shouldn't be such an issue. But yes, I'm just looking for a cheap way in.

That said, it might be better off if I tried first with an el cheapo airbrush that costs about a tenner from my local hobby shop and a can of compressed air. I presume I can't simply blow down the hose...?

First Name
Drew
Strangely enough I bought one of these last week.

Haven't used it yet and I'm no expert (I bought it as a way in to airbrushing) but I had a quick play about with it with both of the brushes with water in the jar/cup and it seems okay to me.

There's control over how narrow or wide you want the spray to be and, well, to me it seemed like a good starter compressor/airbrush kit.

I'll no doubt upgrade over time but this is my entry level kit and will no doubt be starting using it this week or next.

P

pittnuma

\ said:
Actually Darren it does not have a tank. But providing you are not using the compressor continually you will not need a tank.The flow is perfect without a tank for airbrushing. You need a tank if you are using the compressor continously or very frequently. The tank will allow the motor to stop & cool down. Not a problem if you are using the tank infrequently.

Laurie
Ah, my apologies

T

tecdes

No need pittnuma.

I made a real boob a few days ago. Told some one they had a piece in the wrong place. Which was correct the piece was in the correct position. Worse still I had fitted the same piece 5 days before again in the correct position.

Would you believe that . Very embarrassing. Still I will survive. If you do not want to make a mistake you have to keep your mouth closed, not an option for me !!

Laurie