Three 120mm ACW Figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

mpmrcw01.jpg100_4441.JPG100_4442.JPG

My next project will be the construction and painting of three ACW figures, one by Michael Roberts and the other two by Verlinden. As they are all from the same conflict, I thought I might as well feature them on one thread.

I've made both of the Verlinden figures in the past, but decided to buy new kits before they were completely out of stock and see if I could improve on what I did with them the first time.

The first figure was given to me, along with a number of other kits, in an act of incredible generosity by fellow member Ralph (SWR). A big thank you to him along with the hopes that I can do the various figures he sent me justice.

The figure isn't quite the same as that in the box photo:

100_4443.JPG

It represents an artilleryman at rest with a canteen in one hand and a ramrod crooked in his left arm. He can be painted as either a Union or Confederate man, but I think I'll go for the latter. The sculptural quality is very nice indeed, but there are one or two casting issues, mainly with the head, which may necessitate the swapping of parts. Fortunately, I seem to have accumulated quite a few spare parts for the era:

100_4444.JPG

Having watched the Pickett's Charge sequence from the 1993 mini-series Gettysburg yesterday, I'm all fired up with the subject and ready to go (a so-so film by the way, but the battle scenes are incredible, having involved the participation of just about every re-enactment society in the US).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting subject....I went to a re-enactment at Gettysburg on the anniversary of the battle many years ago, it was a fantastic day out. There must have been at least 5000 re-enactors, including full cavalry groups. Really impressive....
Looking forward to this one. There’s more variety in ACW uniforms than people realise....

• Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 4539

Looking forward to these Peter.
A friend of many years ago was an ACW reenactor and there was an article(which he believed referred to himself) in either a magazine or paper saying about how some people get a bit too enthusiastic and violent.My friend said that he "only accidently smashed the guy in the face with the butt of his gun".

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - One of my favourite subjects - I've probably read more about the ACW than any other conflict. The day at Gettysburg must have been amazing.

Ralph - As soon as I saw this figure I knew it had to be next. I wonder how many re-enactors get seriously hurt, or even killed each year?

The first is now ready for painting:

100_4445.JPG

Apart from a bit of a pinhole problem, the build wasn't too bad. Unfortunately the head was too badly cast to salvage, so I've dug out two alternatives, one by Mitches, and the other a bandaged head by Verlinden. I'll try the Mitches first.

I've swapped the hands, which were also a bit poor, and have given him one holding a pipe on the right. I've also found a water canteen by Amati and a holster and blanket roll, so he'll be in marching order. The canister shot is by Verlinden.

Here is some uniform reference:

8863_32_60-1862-union-uniform.jpgb5e9f69be67238baca1f02bf41e9b7e8.jpgCS_UniformSpecialBudget1_SM.jpg

There seems to be some variation, but it appears that red facing or piping denoted the artillery

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4539

I have always liked the way you change figures about and I am looking forward to this Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Always good to have a change...

The head's done:

100_4446.JPG100_4447.JPG

Ralph sent me some nice spare heads with the rest of the stuff and I decided to try and use one for this figure. I already had a cap cut from an old figure in the spares box, so I married it up with this Moz Corry offering, which I liked because of the moustache and longer hair.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That face is great. Just what an ACW guy should look like.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Ralph and Jim.

Moz Corry's heads are very distinctive. Not exactly realistic, but nice to paint.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice trio Peter and very neat work on the first face.:thumb2:

Will try to follow your progress on these, the ACW has such a great variety of figure possibilities, looking forward to see how yours will end up.

D

Deleted member 6559

Fernando - Thanks. Well, there was no real standardisation at first - so many militias and private armies with their own uniforms, a favourite practice being the copying of earlier European styles - infantry dressed as hussars etc. Standardisation came later when the South ran out of cloth and everyone was dressed in rags, and in the North with increasingly mechanised uniform production.

Peter - Thanks (just the one face though!). Ralph also sent me a 1/16 bust which struck me as a scary prospect - nothing else to divert attention away from the face. I thought I'd better choose a good head for this one and start practising. I have done a 1/12 bust before, and I found that very difficult.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As expected to your normal high standards Peter.
Grabbing a seat please .
John.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A colourful change of pace and subject.

The right of the 3 figures, one from Verlinden is certainly not the North & South look we have come to expect, but all the more fun to paint, I would imagine.

Great start with the head and another trawl of your parts will see them all well kitted out no doubt.

Its another cold grey day here, but 20 C for Easter weekend?

Have a good time with the family and the little one.

It must be time to introduce a small safe rubber paintbrush in to her toy box, to see if it takes.

Have fun with both the family and the paint, if you get chance?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Thanks for looking in my man.

Steve - Yes, finding time to paint will be the issue over the next couple of weeks. One of the main reasons my daughter's home with the baby is to get her university work finished (she's in her final year), so I'll be holding the baby and cracking the whip. Fortunately the other two kids are about, so they'll be roped in.

The two Verlinden figures represent a member of the 3rd New Jersey Cavalry, nicknamed 'The Butterflies' because of their gaudy uniforms, and a generic Union zouave. In both cases, such regiments were raised locally and funded by sponsors who wanted their men to look as splendid as possible. Zouave regiments featured in both armies, though those of the South quickly wore out their uniforms and became almost indistinguishable from the rest of the army.

D

Deleted member 6559

Managed to get the top half done despite granddad duties and having to take the dog to the vet to have a claw removed:

100_4450.JPG

The sculpt was a bit rough in parts and I think I'll have to give him a knapsack to hide the back, but otherwise......

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Quite intricate with the piping, waistcoat, belts & buttons.
Nicely done and a busy day too.
Hopefully another successful day today and no vets today.
It's getting warmer, slowly!
Perhaps we might have a visit from that unicorn of British life?
A nice Bank Holiday weekend!
Have a good day with the family and the paints
Regards
Steve H