Three Arnhem Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

I've decided on a couple of busts for my next project, both 'depicting' British officers at Arnhem, and both donated, once again, by the wonderful Richard Pearce.

The first is a Mitches bust of John Frost by Pavol Ocecka:

s-l1600 (2).jpg8432150817140622g.jpg100_5725.JPG

This is a straightforward portrait of the actual man, and very nice it is too.

The second is a Young Miniatures bust of Sean Connery playing Roy Urquhart in 'A Bridge Too Far':

ym1870-2 (1).jpgyoung_33cvj9j.jpg100_5726.JPG

A good likeness of 007 by Young B Song. Should be fun to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Ooh! Nice. I'll be watching this one too.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
Your running my legs off count me in I’m take a seat but I know it wouldn’t be long

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along chaps. Kettle's on and I've asked my son to get biscuits on his way home from school.

Only Sean's Denison camo to do, and it's much easier than desert chocolate chip (never again). The larger scale make a big difference as well.

So, Frost's face:

100_5728.JPG100_5729.JPG

As usual, Pavol Ovecka really put me through it with this sculpt - the eyes in particular were a nightmare. I'm not sure that he looks like frost, more Sosabowski I think:

570d5542bce3b401e3fe031024efe8df.jpg

The scarf just has a base coat and I've only just started the beret.

D

Deleted member 7237

There's no stopping you sir, on the Sean Connery bust are you going for the camo or the brown, good luck it'll be a winner in my book anyway.
Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Up front and centre for this one Peter. I'm obsessed with all things Market Garden. Spent my 50th BDay travelleling from Eindhoven to Arnhem in the footsteps of XXX Corps. On Johnny Frosts bridge I sat where the ammunition dump was blown up by the welsh soldier with his Piat in the film a Bridge Too Far

DSC05641.JPG

Great work on the face Peter. Good luck with the camo

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I honestly wouldn’t know where to start on one of these busts, but you manage to knock them out like a machine :nerd:
Beautiful paintwork too :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - I love doing busts, so it's no punishment. I'm going to colour the Sean Connery bust as per the film still. The Denison does have some dark green on it.

Steve - I remember your trip well. Arnhem has always been mentioned in our family - my dad went to an international scout camp at Nijmegen in the mid 1950s, only 10 years or so after the landings.

Si - I'm not a robot - honestly.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in if you can get Steve and Lee to move up please Peter.
No doubt these will be good judging from the start .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great choices, especially doing more Denison camo again.

Could you list your colours for the Denison and the Para's beret too?

I have some Para's to paint one day, and would really appreciate your colour knowledge.

I have the Connery bust in the stash, along with several other film star busts.

They always get reduced?

Probably as no one wants to paint well known faces and mess it up!

Good start with the 1st head, and I can see what you mean, it is more Sosabowski than Frost,

Still cold up here but no frost this morning just fog and mist,

Have fun with what little light there is!

Regards

Steve H

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
A cracking pair of busts - very generous of Richard.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning from a cold but clear Canterbury. Raging sore throat and earache still, so not enjoying the brisk weather. The beret is done with Vallejo Dark Red over Black Red, with a little white added to the dark red to give highlights. Denison colours to follow, as I haven't decided yet. I read a PF review of the Connery bust and a lot of people said they would have preferred a portrait of the real Urquhart.

Jim - Richard has been more than generous and I am embarrassed by my good fortune (eight figures and busts in the last stash, plus a mass of extra parts). As he says though, he's more into sculpting than painting these days, and his stash would probably never see the light of day otherwise. I try to re-pay him by painting his new sculpts for Mookies Miniatures.

D

Deleted member 6559

Well, even I'm surprised how quick this one was:

100_5732.JPG100_5733.JPG100_5734.JPG

I found the finish on this one a bit below par, as can sometimes be the case with some of these V-Busts from Mitches. Getting a neat end result was therefore a bit difficult was difficult, but it will do.