Three Arnhem Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

I'm going to continue with this thread and do a repaint of an another Arnhem figure, Mitches Border Regiment Vickers Gunner (mine is a prototype moulding with an Airborne Forces cap badge):

200mm-9-bust-border-regt-1st-airborne_360_d278e33fbcc5358284bc8a18e09b0c3c.jpg

A slightly quirky Moz Corry sculpt. I first painted this about three years ago, and it has long been relegated to a box in the spare room. Hopefully I'll be able to improve on the last effort:

719576.jpg

I've now stripped most of it down:

100_5751.JPG100_5752.JPG

I had real trouble getting the paint off the torso, as I'd given it a coat of Daler Rowney Matt Varnish, which is very tough. I therefore gave it a coat of black to check for smoothness, and thankfully it's OK.

I've left the Vickers MG and helmet as they were, as I think they'll do. The hand holding the helmet will be touched up to match the new skin tones.

100_5750.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim.

I think Sean is by far the better sculpt. I also enjoyed doing his Denison more than I expected, hence my decision to re-paint the third bust. It's nice to be getting some Brits into the cabinet as well.

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Super, smashing lovely Peter :thumb2:
instantly recognisable as Mr Connery and painted to perfection:cool:

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks for your kind words Si. It was so well sculpted that it would have been virtually impossible to make him look like anyone else.

D

Deleted member 6559

The next head:

100_5757.JPG100_5758.JPG100_5760.JPG

A typical Moz Corry head - a bit odd, but with a lot of character. The growth of beard was indicated by the sculptor, which I never like, so I had to incorporate the texture by stippling on the colours.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter ive been lookin through your thread an very good I like the connery bust to me it looks spot on as I remember in the film he an some other's got cut off dint they an they hid in an atic reminds me i'll have to watch the film again for about tenth time but I still enjoy it
chris

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Christopher. Thanks for looking in.

Urquhart got himself separated from his men at Arnhem, something a commanding officer should never do. He did indeed have to hide from the Germans until the British reached his position. He redeemed his reputation by organising the textbook evacuation of his remaining forces through enemy-held territory to the Rhine.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Peter cheers for the little history lesson as I did not know that about him as im not that clued up on particular generals I think he was ? yea. But ive been on this forum now for a yr now an I try to look at all the modelling sites if possible but I have found I still miss some threads an find them months later when just havin a search through but you guys do some fanstatic threads even if I miss them i'll find them sooner or later. but there is so much on here which is really great stuff
all best to you
chris

Reactions: JR

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
D

Deleted member 6559

Chris - No probs. There is so much to get through on this site that it's easy to miss things.

Alex - Cheers. Will repaint the badge.