Three Arnhem Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This really is coming along a treat. Great to see the surgery on the beret went well. I do like a sculpt with lots of folds and creases in the clothes. Heading for another stunning piece of artwork. Thanks for sharing Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - Hi Knee Man! I completely understand your being keen to get the knee sorted - it must be maddening being so immobile. Hopefully you'll be well under the ether when they get the power-tools out.

The camo. It already had a dark base coat, so the first stage was to paint on the pattern in the three basic colours, which are pretty dark. Next, each patch of colour was worked on separately to shade and highlight it. There were a few areas where black brown could be used to drag shadow across two colours, but mainly it was better done by first adding loads of white to each base colour to highlight each patch, then re-work the shadows with the un-mixed base colour, adding black brown where it needed to be darker. Lines and details were drawn in as the last step.

Dark, wet and gloomy here, so on with the daylight bulb to get this one finished.

Stevie J - Thanks for looking in bro. Glad you like him.

D

Deleted member 6559

The third one is now finished:

100_5779.JPG100_5780.JPG100_5781.JPG

The last stage started with the painting of the left arm, working across the shoulders, and then completing the small amount of the back showing. Next, I attached the hand holding the helmet, re-painted the hand and touched up the helmet with extra highlights. Finally, I re-painted the left hand and added the Vickers, which also got a few touch-ups.

I was reminded as I went along the original castings needed a lot of work to get them into paintable condition. The left arm had to be re-sculpted in places where the mould-block had been, there was the business with the cross-strap, already mentioned, and the helmet had to have a new rim fitted.

A group shot:

100_5782.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
A good days work with the brush Peter. Can't wait to see the three busts together. They will be epic.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Many thanks. Group shot above - I edited the post.

Andy. Thank you. Hope you're on the mend.

First Name
Andrew
Thanks Peter. A month on and the pain's finally subsiding! Looking at your work brings welcome distraction!
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Andy - Good to hear.

Ralph - Many thanks for looking in. I've ordered some more movie star busts by Young Miniatures - Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe, no less!

Neil. Thank you that man.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
They all look great together, very nice Peter :thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Thanks for the SBS for Denison, it will come in useful and certainly seems to be more efficient.

Great group shot, another trio for the display cabinet?

Are you going to keep doing 1:16 figures for awhile longer or stick with busts?

Not an easy road both for availability and cost, and you do them so quickly too!

Seems like you might need a fill in task between busts, though what would achieve the same goal is a difficult one?

Another rainy and grey start up here in't North!

Whats next, aren't you due a visit soon by your grand daughter?

And Christmas sneaking up quietly!

Have a good day at the bench

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Thanks for posting the trio shot. I no you don't, but if you were to sell them as a trio you would make a handsome profit. Stunning work all round

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
All three are excellent but I’m giving the star prize to the final one...the replacement head was well worth it!
Jason

D

Deleted member 6559

Steven - Many thanks.

Steve H - I'd like to stick with busts for a while, but as you say, it's not a good option for me both financially and time wise. I have another couple of great examples, one given to me by Ralph and another by Richard, and I've also ordered a couple of Young Miniatures movie stars, but there are quite a few 1/16 figures in the stash that I will also build. The problem is that I feel I'm making some progress with the busts than with the figures. What to do..... Granddaughter not actually due until Christmas, and we haven't the time to go down to Lewes. Thankfully we have Snapchat and all that. We had some hilarious pictures of the results of her finding a packet of biscuits while her mum's back was turned. Wet and dark here. May spend time which of the older pieces in the display cabinet will go to make room for this lot.

Stevie J - Sorry, I added the group shot to the previous post, just to confuse you. Happy to give stuff away, but would never sell.

Jason - Many thanks. I think ultimately the best sculpt gives the best result, so Sean's my favourite. I'm also quite pleased with the way the Vickers gunner turned out, but the Frost figure probably won't make it into the cabinet.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Each one is superb but they really work well together.
Jim