Tiger 131

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thanks for the pictures Dale, I hope to see it in real life one day.
Cheers Steven
You're very welcome. If you get the chance to visit Bovington, please do. it's an excellent museum with dozens of great tanks. Well worth a visit.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Nice shots of probably THE iconic tank……i always think the track replacement cables look a little weedy though….
They do look really thin don't they? Especially given the width of those tracks. Probably a really strong alloy, or something to do with the interleaved wheel arrangement?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is it only me or does anyone else wonder why the Wehrmacht bothered with that Camo pattern though…..you can hardly see the difference between the shades…..I did it several years ago on a 250 using Modelmaster enamels and literally couldn’t see the colour difference when I removed the masking!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AH hi again Dale but i know this my be a stupid question but ive often herd them wheels in the tracks called road wheels so was it capable of running on these wheels with out the tracks on ?
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
She's a runner mate - the only one in the world.
Of course, given that there are something like half a dozen left in all, it being the only runner is not all that strange :smiling3:

ive often herd them wheels in the tracks called road wheels so was it capable of running on these wheels with out the tracks on ?
No. In almost all tracked vehicles (there are a few exceptions), only the drive sprockets are powered: they pull the track around the wheels, and because of this, the track in turn pulls the whole vehicle forward. The roadwheels are essentially rollers on which the hull moves over the lower part of the tracks, which is flat on the ground.

If you break both tracks, the vehicle isn’t going anywhere (except maybe down, if it happens to be on a slope :smiling3:). Break one track and the vehicle can turn on the spot, by moving the other track, but that’s it.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Is it only me or does anyone else wonder why the Wehrmacht bothered with that Camo pattern though…..you can hardly see the difference between the shades…..I did it several years ago on a 250 using Modelmaster enamels and literally couldn’t see the colour difference when I removed the masking!
There's camo paint? lol. Yeah, fairly pointless tbh.
AH hi again Dale but i know this my be a stupid question but ive often herd them wheels in the tracks called road wheels so was it capable of running on these wheels with out the tracks on ?
chris
As far as I know Chris pretty well any tank with road wheels can be towed without tracks, but the drive sprocket drives the tracks, so may not drive without them. Hope that makes sense? I could be wrong, and welcome more experienced members corrections, clarifications etc.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Of course, given that there are something like half a dozen left in all, it being the only runner is not all that strange :smiling3:

No. In almost all tracked vehicles (there are a few exceptions), only the drive sprockets are powered: they pull the track around the wheels, and because of this, the track in turn pulls the whole vehicle forward. The roadwheels are essentially rollers on which the hull moves over the lower part of the tracks, which is flat on the ground.

If you break both tracks, the vehicle isn’t going anywhere (except maybe down, if it happens to be on a slope :smiling3:). Break one track and the vehicle can turn on the spot, by moving the other track, but that’s it.
OK Jakko thanks for that info but it is a bit misleading calling them rd wheels as that where my thoughts were wrong but cheers for puttin me right an Dale
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There's camo paint? lol. Yeah, fairly pointless tbh.
It used to be a bit more visible:

dOkLiF3uQkWrAGDzeIG79g_thumb_1702.jpg

Still not great contrast, but more than it seems to have now. (This was taken in September 2002, though not the greatest quality because I used a simple point-and-click APS camera with a flash of pretty limited power.)

There was great uproar at the time, BTW, when the tank was unveiled in this camouflage and modellers etc. all over decried it as wrong. To which Bovington’s reply was that these were the colours they found under the later British/museum overpaints …

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
It used to be a bit more visible:

View attachment 434393

Still not great contrast, but more than it seems to have now. (This was taken in September 2002, though not the greatest quality because I used a simple point-and-click APS camera with a flash of pretty limited power.)

There was great uproar at the time, BTW, when the tank was unveiled in this camouflage and modellers etc. all over decried it as wrong. To which Bovington’s reply was that these were the colours they found under the later British/museum overpaints …
Interesting to see "weathering" i.e. paint fading, even under museum conditions, and the twice a year Tiger day runs.