Tiger according to box early production

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've had this kit and a set of decals for it in the stash for about three years ,needing to get back to norm(72nd) and take a break from all things green went for this. The kit is made by dragon and I know its old now but its complete pants ,there were more parts not to be used (whole sprues)than there were to build the model the instructions were well useless making it hard work still all part of the fun as they say. The decals are for a tiger captured at kursk which was then graffitied up with a pot of red paint honest there's a pic of it with the decals. Any way all sprayed up needing a blue filter to make it pop ,pick out wheels tracks and tools (pet hate moulded on tools what a cheap shot) seal it with some floor polish put on decals ,the balken?thing crosses then weather it up ,but here's the rub then add the graffiti decals still worry about that when we get there.
20201126_125257_1.jpg
20201126_125320.jpg
20201126_125431.jpg
Fingers crossed will update as I go. Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh and can anybody please give us a clue to the colour of the pipes on the engine deck im sure the box (I've thrown it out)had them down as brown ,were they rubber?are they to do with air filters.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The pipes on the engine deck are for the air filters at the rear corners, which were for intended use in dusty climates (North Africa and Russia in summer) and were fitted only to the early tanks. I’m not entirely sure of the material the pipes were made from, but I suppose they would simply have been painted together with the rest of the tank — though you often see them depicted as rubber on models. Spielberger in Der Panzerkampfwagen Tiger und seine Abarten calls them “biegsamer Schläuche”, that is, “flexible hoses” on page 45.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The pipes on the engine deck are for the air filters at the rear corners, which were for intended use in dusty climates (North Africa and Russia in summer) and were fitted only to the early tanks. I’m not entirely sure of the material the pipes were made from, but I suppose they would simply have been painted together with the rest of the tank — though you often see them depicted as rubber on models. Spielberger in Der Panzerkampfwagen Tiger und seine Abarten calls them “biegsamer Schläuche”, that is, “flexible hoses” on page 45.
Thanks for getting back Jakko as usual a font of knowledge so seems they can be blagged without repercussions, once again many thanks. Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi David
Looks to have built up well. Lots of bits for the spares box. Looking forward to the decals.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Oh and can anybody please give us a clue to the colour of the pipes on the engine deck im sure the box (I've thrown it out)had them down as brown ,were they rubber?are they to do with air filters.

They were made of steel David

IMGP3576.jpgIMGP0965.jpgunnamed.jpg

Being by the rear exhausts they got covered in exhaust fumes. Original colour would be the same as the tank colour. However they were replaced often as they did split easily.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
were fitted only to the early tanks

If it helps the Feifal Air Cleaner system was introduced on to the Tiger 1 in March 1943 and was deleted in October 1943 so you only have a 7 month window when they were fitted.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If it helps the Feifal Air Cleaner system was introduced on to the Tiger 1 in March 1943 and was deleted in October 1943 so you only have a 7 month window when they were fitted.
Thanks Steve , I must try and sort these small things out sooner instead of asking when I've nearly finished ,never being one for accuracy more of a if I like it its OK with me kind of modler. The exhaust on the AT-1 was OK but if I'd of walked first and not ran ? all these small things I get well out of sequence still its a nice learning curve with each build once again many thanks for your help and constant encouragement. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well applied a blue filter, yeh thats what I thought ,no poo deer stalker wareing detective , got marking decals on ,
20201128_075759.jpg
20201128_080015.jpg
Still have started to muck about with the turret roof seems to settle it down OK
20201128_075854.jpg
Have a safe weekend all Dave

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
looking good Dave :thumb2:
Built a 72nd tiggy myself last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, here is a link to it If your interested

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave looking very nice, don't be hard on all things Green :crying:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Great work on the weathering David. Nearly there now my friend