Tiger I in Ardennes

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just a little more info on Panzerkompanie "Hummel" if possible?

Would they have had a unit mark on the tanks? If so. Anyone know what it looks like or if there is a decal out there with it?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Axis History Forum has an extended history of tank 114 of the "Hummel" Company integrated into sPA 506 for the Ardennes. When 506, had a large white W w/black outline with a Tiger carrying an orange shield w/white cross over the center of it. The shield was held towards the front on both sides. Either earlier or later, it was simplified to an orange circle w/white cross. PaulE

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
All the information I have seen on German vehicles used in the Ardennes offensive seems to indicate the lack of said markings......don't know if they were omitted for operational security or just to further confuse Allied intelligence.
Rick H.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The Axis History Forum has an extended history of tank 114 of the "Hummel" Company integrated into sPA 506 for the Ardennes. When 506, had a large white W w/black outline with a Tiger carrying an orange shield w/white cross over the center of it. The shield was held towards the front on both sides. Either earlier or later, it was simplified to an orange circle w/white cross. PaulE

It would appear that the number of the Tiger I tank numbered 411 was destroyed by it's crew when it became impossible to recover it (the only picture available of a Tiger I in the Ardennes Offensive). 4.Kompanie sPz.Abt.506 renumbered the 'Hummel' tanks from 401 to 414. No other insignia was present on the tanks.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
True, the second time "Hummel" tanks were attached to 506 (for the Ardennes) they were repainted. The first time was on the Ost Front. The insignia were usually on signs for marshaling, HQ/rear area vehicles & signs.