Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Pleasing progress tonight….all the stickers are on.
View attachment 460721
Even the walkway lines are straight…..amazing what you can do with tweezers and a cocktail stick…..
More shots…
View attachment 460722
The obscured aircraft number is correct to photographs…..not sure about the codes though, I never get them right….
View attachment 460723
Very pleased with the decals. Just one minor issue, I couldn’t get one of the red gun sealing patches to behave and fold over the opening. Got it in place at the top then pushed it into place with decal sol. Trouble is, it moved a little when I did this. Not too worried, I believe they were renewed at every flight…..
All the others behaved superbly, almost no silvering anywhere.

Just a couple of coats of decal sol required now to get the big roundels properly into the panel seams. Then we are into finish varnishing and hand painting the remaining details…..nearly there…..three months for a build that should have taken me about a month! I am very out of practice. The Mossy will take me till Xmas at this rate…..
Looking very good indeed Tim. I can never get those gun patches to work either.

And as for three months my two little 109s took almost that long!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
Three months isn't that long for a result that good. It's been over summer as well when modelling often takes a back seat. The decals really bring this to life.

I'll join in with the chorus.
Thanks Jim. Decorating the front room in the heat didn’t help either. Got some rhythm back now though, so making progress again….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very good indeed Tim. I can never get those gun patches to work either.

And as for three months my two little 109s have almost that long!
Cheers Andrew. I suppose if they were soft enough to conform they would give us other problems with the other decals on the sheet…..
Loving your 109s, by the way. Small, but perfectly formed.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, we got there…..
08A64B2A-B0EF-4755-B4B2-A0F2600F5AF5.jpeg
Had some dramas with the varnish though. I simply couldn’t dull down the finish! That’s had two coats of satin and one hand brushed matt varnish, and it still looks polished! No real weathering on it. The squadron shots I have look remarkably clean, and the shiny finish means pastels simply won’t stick…..
Here is a squadron shot from back in the day….
8A07278A-4B09-4006-96C4-2D89A3337110.jpeg
Looks rather like mine, and doesn’t have any gun or exhaust stains, so I’m allowed to leave them off ;)

Lastly, a comparison shot with a ten year old MkI from my meagre aircraft collection…..
48B5B976-22F4-48D7-B544-1238A8A7CF25.jpeg
The Mk XII looks much more aggressive, but the MkI just looks perfect…..

Hope you like it. More shots in the group build summary….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Tim....I get why they did the clipped wings but it doesn't look the same.... Will have a look shortly at the other pictures!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well done Tim....I get why they did the clipped wings but it doesn't look the same.... Will have a look shortly at the other pictures!
Cheers Andrew. Agreed, with clipped wings it’s lost that elegance that the Mk I had in spades.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well done Tim, a cracking build and finish buddy,
she can rightfully take her place on your display shelves.. and look proud doing so..