Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good work on the door. I used stretched sprue to make my crow bar with.

Nice tip with the balsa blocks by the way.
I started off shaping some strip, and was quite happy with it, but cut it too short so had to start again. I then found some rod in the scrap box and shaped that because it was quicker and I was getting annoyed :tongue-out3: . Thanks on the blocks.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sluggy progress this month so far. Only managed this….
08C2C7C8-7893-47DD-BED5-CE448F1D7389.jpeg
Believe it or not, that took me a good hour and a half, with the canopies off the plane…..I am well out of practice it seems. I’ve since stuck the rear view mirror on and masked the landing light. Next thing, a wipe in meths to degrease, then work out how to fill in the cockpit hole before priming…..won’t bother with the wheel wells, they are easy to get at and will therefore be hand painted. Hoping priming will happen tomorrow, I want to get on the mossy before all the good jokes are taken ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Tim! And canopies are a £&)(£#@#....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on nicely Tim! And canopies are a £&)(£#@#....
Yep, and I’ve got a horrible feeling these masks will bleed badly….I can see gaps in the picture that didn’t show when I looked at it.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sluggy progress this month so far. Only managed this….
View attachment 458086
Believe it or not, that took me a good hour and a half, with the canopies off the plane…..I am well out of practice it seems. I’ve since stuck the rear view mirror on and masked the landing light. Next thing, a wipe in meths to degrease, then work out how to fill in the cockpit hole before priming…..won’t bother with the wheel wells, they are easy to get at and will therefore be hand painted. Hoping priming will happen tomorrow, I want to get on the mossy before all the good jokes are taken ;)
I feel your pain Tim!!
.... I'm sat here contemplating the exact same problem as I type!
I was thinking of temporarily tacking in the middle section,(as if,"closed"), but still can't think of what to do about the cutaway door but ?!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
Progress can be slow at any time but it's often worse in summer - hot weather and wanting to be out and about. Canopies/cockpits are a difficult part of the build. I have had some success using pieces of foam to stuff into the open area. This is coming on nicely.
I want to get on the mossy before all the good jokes are taken ;)
Unlikely Tim as a certain Mr Race is involved in the GB and he usually attracts a motley crew.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I feel your pain Tim!!
.... I'm sat here contemplating the exact same problem as I type!
I was thinking of temporarily tacking in the middle section,(as if,"closed"), but still can't think of what to do about the cutaway door but ?!
Hi Andy. It will probably be foam, but the spitfire cut away door doesn’t help matters…..I’ve done a spit and a hurricane before but I’m blowed if i can remember how I did it….I have used damp tissue before…..just re wetting it to get it out again……but that was in wheel wells, not cockpits…..

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tim,
Another of the reasons I tend to avoid the wingy things is the masking of canopies plus you can't cover up mistakes with mud :smiling:
Couldn't agree more mate!!
I must admit that I do love the look of certain aircraft,hence I have bought a few recently... BUT,this one is surely trying my patience :sad:
....and it's only my first PROPER attempt for years!!
I hope I'll crack it, because I have several of my favourite specimens in the stash ;)
However,my patience is running thin,and what should be fun is getting to be a chore ....but HEY..
I'll give it my best shot :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
Progress can be slow at any time but it's often worse in summer - hot weather and wanting to be out and about. Canopies/cockpits are a difficult part of the build. I have had some success using pieces of foam to stuff into the open area. This is coming on nicely.

Unlikely Tim as a certain Mr Race is involved in the GB and he usually attracts a motley crew.
Jim
Yep, and decorating the front room takes the only part of the day with mojo LOL…..I’ve done the foam trick before with success Jim, but this is an awkward shape…….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Couldn't agree more mate!!
I must admit that I do love the look of certain aircraft,hence I have bought a few recently... BUT,this one is surely trying my patience :sad:
....and it's only my first PROPER attempt for years!!
I hope I'll crack it, because I have several of my favourite specimens in the stash ;)
However,my patience is running thin,and what should be fun is getting to be a chore ....but HEY..
I'll give it my best shot :smiling3:
Once you have the cockpit masked off the rest is quite simple Andy. Certainly nothing an experienced guy like you should be scared of. Remember you don’t have to spray everything either. Detail work like wheel well on simply things like single engined fighters can very easily be hand painted. I do find them frustrating….but then I find all modelling frustrating sometimes……probably because I have a low boredom threshold. I rarely do more than an hour at a time.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
Another of the reasons I tend to avoid the wingy things is the masking of canopies plus you can't cover up mistakes with mud :smiling:
LOL…..you can to a certain extent Scottie….they get surpringly dirty underneath, and they are the only things I’ve ever really seen displaying significant chipping….especially around the wing root. Masking is not really that different to masking a lorry, by the way, there’s just a little more of it. You’ve done a few lorries so wouldn’t struggle with these. Masking kits do really help though, they save ages and give more consistent results.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on very nicely Tim :thumb2:

I would use sponge to fill the cockpit/ canopy gap too.

Geoff.
Yep, that’s my plan Geoff. The only issue is the open door……should be able to crack it though….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, all masked up waiting for primer now……

0181AEFB-F8E7-40B4-8CDA-B936AD3CDFA7.jpeg
D9BA1B52-9043-4ADC-9DF3-B4C908B9C175.jpeg
Went for a hybrid method on the port side. The door cut out didn’t allow foam to work, the surface detail was too close. I therefore masked the rest with foam, then stuffed wet tissue in there. Need to let the tissue dry before priming, and it will be firm and impervious to paint. If you are wondering how I get it out again…..just re wet it, leave it a few minutes, and it will come out as clean as a whistle…..
The foam is a bit coarse, but it should work. I had some finer make up sponges, but I think the cat has had them. Either that, or a visiting daughter has snaffled them…..
Any touch ups needed on the canopy frame will be done with a brush and Vallejo……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
It's a sad day when a guy can't hang on to his own make up sponges.
Fingers crossed for the spraying. I'll remember the wet tissue idea :thumb2:
Jim
Surely is Jim…….I’ll have to call into a pound shop again now…..
Don’t know where I got the wet tissue idea from, but it does work. It’s great for wheel wells……really easy to position correctly to get clean demarcation of colour…..