Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just caught up with this - looking really good, Tim. The miniature painting is clearly a transferable skill! Makes me more optimistic I can make a half-decent job when I start on motorbikes, fingers crossed.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just caught up with this - looking really good, Tim. The miniature painting is clearly a transferable skill! Makes me more optimistic I can make a half-decent job when I start on motorbikes, fingers crossed.
Painting is painting to me Paul. Best bit is, unless it’s figures, there are no faces to worry about LOL…..
Mind you, bikes, like cars, will need a bit of polishing work between coats on the tank and side skirts to get a decent finish.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, after a little filling and sanding, we’ve reached another milestone…. wings are on.
37D224E2-7EFC-47F8-AE0F-1DEA9F358AD6.jpeg
Nothing major to work on, just the usual hairline cracks. I prefer to do them with the wings off because access is easier. The tape isn’t really there to maintain dihedral, it’s there to keep the wing to fuselage joint closed up while the glue is drying. The clamps keep the front and back in close contact while the glue dries as well. Once this is all dry I’ll do any remedial work on the wing/fuselage joint then dress up the wings and engine area with the requisite lumps, bumps, and sticking out bits…..still deciding wether to drill out the exhausts or not. I probably will, but need to check if there are aftermarket ones available in case I wreck them….

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
“Sorry I’m late sir , but ive got an excuse“
apologies Tim , only just caught up with the whole of the thread . Cockpit looks excellent , top work , are you putting the pilot in ?
cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
“Sorry I’m late sir , but ive got an excuse“
apologies Tim , only just caught up with the whole of the thread . Cockpit looks excellent , top work , are you putting the pilot in ?
cheers tony
I hope you have a note from your mother Yak junior!
Cheers for the support Tony. No pilot in this one I’m afraid. I always like to show aircraft on the ground with the canopy open.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice wing root there. Minor point of irritation on my build, but you have done a good jog there.
Cheers Ian. I’ve had them so bad that they need 20thou plasticard infill or so much sanding you nearly go through the plastic. The wing fit on this kit was better than the body halves.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Quite happy with these joints.

I'm not sure Tim, shouldn't they be round.............UMMM, Ahhhh, sorry, wrong joints.............Getting a really nice fit with minimal filling is always a plus Tim. Also good there were no steps in the fit either. Guess we're almost to the masking part now, huh? It looks good me Sir, so bring on the rest.

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm not sure Tim, shouldn't they be round.............UMMM, Ahhhh, sorry, wrong joints.............Getting a really nice fit with minimal filling is always a plus Tim. Also good there were no steps in the fit either. Guess we're almost to the masking part now, huh? It looks good me Sir, so bring on the rest.

Prost
Allen
Cheers for the support mate. Nowhere near primer or paint yet though Allen. Minor filling of those joints now. I want to get them sorted before primer. Still got all the stick on bits, speed bumps, radiators, coolers, tail etc to do before that. Should move on quite quickly now though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Bob. The Eduard parts really are almost instant modelling. The seat belts are a bit fiddly, but the instrument panel just needs gluing on once the original part has been filed flat.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Ah you never know Tim, she could have been holding a torch for you all these years. You old heartbreaker you ;)