Time for something big,Airfix 1\24 Typhoon

D

Deleted member 3568

I was tempted by some of the amazing builds of this kit, but in the end I decided I can't even do a half decent job of a simple 1/72 plane model. I can see your off to a great start though 

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hawker Typhoon, I assume of WW2 vintage? a real tank buster! always one of my favorites, and in 1/24 scale it should be a monster >:sad: ...I'll be watching

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
R

Ray Scheller

Good old fashioned clothes pins do the job for me.

ray

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good old fashioned clothes pins do the job for me.

ray

For what he's used them for I agree Ray - although I use the rubber type of clothes peg which is infinitely superior to the wooden type. I was thinking that type of clamp would be useful for things that won't fit in a small peg.

R

Ray Scheller

True those clamps have more capacity and the old adage fits here "You can never have to many clamps." I'm curious to know where those clamps can be found as well.

Ray

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
True those clamps have more capacity and the old adage fits here "You can never have to many clamps." I'm curious to know where those clamps can be found as well.

Ray

It's really annoying! I bought a couple last year - now I can't find where I got them from!

PS Sorry Peter, we seem to have drifted away somewhat!

T

T. van Vuuren

Nice start. I have this same kit to do. How was the molding on the "tubular parts" of the cockpit area? Allot of cleaning up of mold seams or are they crisp?

Theuns

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
There is clean up need but it's not to bad but once buttoned up most of it won't be seen

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Nice start Peter ( really am envious as I really wanted to get one of these but maybe in the future eh. Looking really good so far and being a new tool should turn out really good.

Are you going OOB or are you adding any extras ( decals/ after market etc 

regards 

Robert 

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Nice start Peter ( really am envious as I really wanted to get one of these but maybe in the future eh. Looking really good so far and being a new tool should turn out really good.

Are you going OOB or are you adding any extras ( decals/ after market etc 

regards 

Robert 

OOB as any extras cost almost if not more than the kit itself

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Its a good kit OOB.....   On this scale the only thing I would suggest is to paint the markings using a paint mask set instead of decals.  You can really tell the difference.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Its a good kit OOB.....   On this scale the only thing I would suggest is to paint the markings using a paint mask set instead of decals.  You can really tell the difference.

I agree, you really can tell the difference in larger scales. I have used masks from Maketar on various projects since Mal's Masks is winding up operations. They are very good and there is a big set available for 1/24 Typhoons. The only issue is the price, particularly as the kit will very likely contain perfectly good decals, but if any after market enhancement is worth it at this scale masks like these (there maybe others available) would be the one I'd go for.

http://shop.maketar.com/?product=124-raf-hawker-typhoons

These 1/24 Spitfire float plane masks were from Mal, but the principle is the same.

Cheers

Steve

K

Kressy_13

Nice start mate. Really looking forward to seeing this go together. Will be a large one.