Tim's mid-life crisis build...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
After joining this site few months ago I saw several excellent motorcycle builds which piqued my interest. I rode bikes a lot in my youth, and I still miss motorcycling when the weather is good, but think at my age this is the best way for me to scratch the itch. So, I bought a couple of cheap big T kits from SMC to cut my teeth on. I have since bought two others from my LHSs, so this might be the start of something....
My first bike kit ever then.... . after setting the scene, here is what I will be building...
P1040457-1.jpg

Quite an old kit, about 1983 I think....
P1040458-2.jpg

Standard Tamiya instruction....
P1040459-3.jpg

Body and clear sprues.
P1040460-4.jpg

P1040461-5.jpg

Black sprues for frame and engine.....
P1040463-7.jpg

Chrome and silver sprues....
P1040462-6.jpg
Rubber bits and bolts...
All sprue shots in bags, sorry wasn't thinking.....
I have made a little progress as I wanted to see if I liked these before posting....I will post an update soon.
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, here is the update so far.....
Bikes are interesting...clean up and paint some bits, then build the bike just like a real one.....
P1040464-8.jpg

P1040465-9.jpg
P1040466-10.jpg

Here is the four cylinder 750 engine.....Hoses are not permanent yet. Fit was pretty good with no real issues. Seam lines and ejection marks are more pronounced than newer Tamiya kits, but that is probably down to the age of the moulds. Paint is Tamiya colours and Alclad metals, with Humbrol (remember them) metalcote for the hand painted details. Still, it looks pretty good to me, not quite sure about the chrome parts, may use alclad on those next time....

P1040467-11.jpg

P1040468-12.jpg

here is the rear swinging arm and wheel. Quite pleased with the chain, and the rubber tyres look better than I thought they would. Don't like the threaded screw though, next build may use 14 or 16BA bolts and nuts if I can find them....
All comments and advice welcome, especially from those that build bikes....
Cheers
Tim

First Name
Steve
Absolute fantastic Tim, love the engjne detail, all the best with the rest of the build, i will be following if that's ok.

Steve.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
I'm another who has never built a bike kit. Looks as if you are off to a great start. Fine metal work. Looking forward to the rest.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve
Welcome aboard the wild ride :cool: Hope I don’t disappoint you....

Hi Jim
Thanks for the compliment, I find Alclad really easy to use as long as you have the correct PPE.....

Might be a while before the next update, cleaning and painting first, then build the sub assembly....working on the frame, exhausts, and rear shock assemblies next...
Cheers both
Tim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Tim

I've done a couple of their bikes, many years ago - generally nice kits

Those large screws they use do let things down slightly though

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Simon
Thanks for the support, the more I look at the screw the closer it gets to going....I must dig out my BA nuts and bolts...a cheese head screw would look better than this dome headed chrome bolt...and a thread and nut would improve this no end....

Hi Ian
Thanks bud, it’s a good starter/taster kit I think, no bodywork to worry about....and pretty cheap as well....

Cheers all
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Tim.
Looked some nice thin sections to remove from the sprue !
You certainly managed it and the assembly well.
Some of the shots looked real, what do you use please.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John, thanks for the compliments. What do you want to know about? Building, painting/finishing or photography?
No really hard techniques have been used here.
Cheers
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I built a couple of these Tamiya bikes in my youth when I was more youthful, and always liked them. They build like Tamiya kits, so you shouldn’t encounter problems anywhere, I would think.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great start Tim, nice and clean paint work.:thumb2:
Hope you find the correct bolt and nut.

ps. love the title of the tread.:smiling5:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jakko
Thanks for the support, it is building like a Tamiya kit at present, though the seam lines and ejection marks sometimes show the age of the moulds....

Hi Fernando
Nice of you to say that, I of course, see all the flaws.....the nut and bolt can wait a while, mostly because I can’t remember where I put them....

Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
good choice for your first bike
ive got this one in the stash and done the standard version....goes together with no drama
look forward to seeing it go together

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Paul, glad to see you along, starting these was all your fault when I saw your SR500 :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, thanks for the compliments. What do you want to know about? Building, painting/finishing or photography?
No really hard techniques have been used here.
Cheers
Tim
Tim .
The photography please ! :nerd:
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
All I did with these was hold my small Nikon Coolpix steady on the top of a Tamiya paint pot, set it on “macro” and take the picture. The light was mostly taken my modelling strip light set to light from the front and above. I did a little post processing in lightroom to enhance contrast, repair blown highlights (which my little Nikon always seems to do for these) and crop the shot to remove unwanted background. The secret, if there is one, is holding the camera steady while you take the shot.....and getting down to the level of the subject. Photographs taken from above always look false....Ron the salad dodger on here is a master of this technique.....
If you are using an SLR, go for the aperture priority mode (Av on a Canon) and set to a really high number like F14. The shutter speed will drop alarmingly, so don’t hand hold, use a tripod and set the self timer to take the shot without camera shake.
Best thing about models is that they don’t move while you do this....if you try it with wildlife they are about half a mile away by the time the shutter goes click....still need to get to eye level with the subject if you can as well.....
Cheers
Tim

D

Dave S4

Oh, I can almost smell the Autosol!
Great progress so far.
And what's this about being too old to get a real one??
Nonsense. Winter is when the prices come down. Start looking. You know you want to. ...

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
All I did with these was hold my small Nikon Coolpix steady on the top of a Tamiya paint pot, set it on “macro” and take the picture. The light was mostly taken my modelling strip light set to light from the front and above. I did a little post processing in lightroom to enhance contrast, repair blown highlights (which my little Nikon always seems to do for these) and crop the shot to remove unwanted background. The secret, if there is one, is holding the camera steady while you take the shot.....and getting down to the level of the subject. Photographs taken from above always look false....Ron the salad dodger on here is a master of this technique.....
If you are using an SLR, go for the aperture priority mode (Av on a Canon) and set to a really high number like F14. The shutter speed will drop alarmingly, so don’t hand hold, use a tripod and set the self timer to take the shot without camera shake.
Best thing about models is that they don’t move while you do this....if you try it with wildlife they are about half a mile away by the time the shutter goes click....still need to get to eye level with the subject if you can as well.....
Cheers
Tim
Cheers Tim.
I will have a word with myself and pay attention to the setting. When I do landscape photos I have no problems. I have a light tent and used the tripod for those figures. Might be better with the cable, or as you suggest with the timer. I Use the Cannon 5D, not one of these with video , Its about 6 years old , maybe more , also a Cannon 300D,a little baby , nice camera. On the 5D I use a 24- 105 wide angle lens that I use for landscapes, maybe this is the wrong lens to use . I have a Sigma Macro 180mm 1.3.5 . but find it is to powerful and shows things we wouldn't normally see !
John .