Tm'osdell HO scale garden railway

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi all, I am not sure where to put this new thread, stuck it in General Train chat, I will be also starting a thread in layouts, this bridge is part of my layout, be starting soon a new thread in layouts as I am planning a large layout out side in HO scale in module form, where I live it gets too hot in summer 43 degrees can go for a whole week , ply won't last.

The bridge will also have a road bridge beside it at a latter date , main span 14 feet will have an 2 foot high arch above the track deck, yesterday I finished cutting the arch sides and joined them together, very happy when I sat the arch onto the patio, water line Clarence is 2 feet , the second ship will be a UK channel ferry and down the track a cruise ship .

Here are three pics , still a lot of work have to finish cutting the second arch pieces that will make the thickness of the arch 24 mm, the arch it's self is 1 inch and a half high .

5d306d9018356168398b463e.jpg.31a770668c4c6b550dfe4a717ecbf717.jpg20200415_154642.jpg20200415_154714.jpg20200415_154730.jpg
20200415_154642.jpg

The first pic is what I am basing the bridge on is a Russian design , I may add the middle beam like in the pic, a lot more work, will see how it turns out. If you are wondering why so big, I am modelling a shipping channel and will have a Ro, Ro Port , build the railway first.

Tony on a high , from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Thanks Paul, more to come especially when I start up a thread on my layout plans.

Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony so you are building the bridge in the pic yea ? well at 14 ft it should be a cracker before I post any more comments I'll wait till you have done a bit more as to me there looks to be a lot of work in it
chris

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
as I always say any start is a good start and wow what a build this will be, ;)

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi all I figured it is time to show everyone my layout plans, HO/00 scale garden railway is quite big in the UK, not over here the summer months are very hot , I will only be playing with trains in the cooler months and yes the layout is a modular design,, was started n 2014 but couldn't finish the layout because we moved to a smaller house.

The new yard is perfect for a garden railway but smaller in length and couldn't have my big railway station cut down to a smaller one with only three platforms, the layout is based on the GSW that owns the Indian Pacific, Ghan , Overlander and another passenger train will find out that name, I will be able to run trains from other countries, . I like the US trains have a few got British Flying Scot and a cross country DMU set ,, owned by Virgin which is high speed, have two trains from Europe TGV Thaly's and ICE3 from Germany , main collection is Australian .

Here are some pics of my layout at the mock-up stage of setting up the track decking to see how it will fit in is 14 feet track centres and 31 feet wide has a spiral based on where the Williams loop in California to gain height into the shed where I will a double deck vertical 5 track yard with two reverse loops, the station is bases on the Adelaide Park lands terminal .

Where the Indians Pacific comes in from Sydney , some times another 10 coaches will be added and auto wagons to finish her journey to Perth , so lots of shunting at the station which will be 15 feet in length.

At the moment I am working on my bridge be on another thread, was planning to cut more timber for the bridge side beams couldn't because it is raining be tomorrow.

20200407_140652.jpg20200407_140738.jpgTm'ozdell track plan a.jpg20200405_154044.jpg20200405_154101.jpg First two pics of the decking mock-up plan, next pic the track plan and final two the two approach mock-up track decking plan .

Enjoy this project going to long going , you will also see what I forgot to add is the Ro, Ro port , two ships and souther end near the patio will have a working swing bridge.

Tony from down under

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That is HUGE!! Won't the elements wreck it? PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony anything more or pics on the bridge yet ? as this looks to be a crackin build
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Very Ambitious...I assume the trackwork will be elevated on benchwork or modules?

Hi Mini Me, yes the decking e razed up off the ground, will take a while being a modular set up, the modules in the shed be 18 inches high and the bridge be 2 foot high, going by the fall of the yard it should level up up near the plant in the corner near the fence and patio.

A couple of the modules will stay where they are, the bridge be in one full length of 14 feet will go into garage .

How are you going , Take care Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
That is HUGE!! Won't the elements wreck it? PaulE

Hi PaulE the layout is a modular set up wont be set up temperamentally would lover to be, yes the ply wouldn't last long with the hot summers we have, will take longer to build but worth it. Have a special way on how I will join up each section where the tracks will line up every time , the bridge is the first project I need to finish , marking out the bridge side beams today ready to cut tomorrow afternoon.

How is your layout going.

Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Monica and Chris, many thanks, yeah going to be a big challenge that is for sure , once the bridge side beams are cut I will join them together and then will sit the arch on where it will go to mark and cut so it will sit flat , will be a while at this project, post some update pics tomorrow night .

Tony

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Tony,

are you only using the photo as a general idea rather than copying it?

I ask that because the proportions of your side beams do not appear to match those of the photo, the real thing being much more arched

the real bridge has a tall arch and half bridge width looks approx. 1.5 times the radius of the arch centre line (so overall width to height approx. 3:1) whereas yours looks to have a half width of around 3.5 times the centre radius or width to height of around 7:1

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Simon I wondered about that as Tonys bridge ach looks a bit flatter than the real bridge or is this the top section Tony an you have to add more length as you build it if that makes any sence but we will see how tony goes about it as to me he's doin very well to even attempt a 14 ft bridge :thumb2:
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Simon, the picture is distorted from the angle shot making the length of the bridge look shorter than it really is. We will only know if there is an image from the side. Bridge arches are seldom half of a full circle.

We'll have to see what turns out.

Hi Tony, looking at your backyard I thought immediately of Sydney. Sister(Acasia Gardens and niece(Boxhill) have a home in the new suburbs and they all have similar finish and wood fences.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Simon, the picture is distorted from the angle shot making the length of the bridge look shorter than it really is. We will only know if there is an image from the side. Bridge arches are seldom half of a full circle.

We'll have to see what turns out.

Hi Tony, looking at your backyard I thought immediately of Sydney. Sister(Acasia Gardens and niece(Boxhill) have a home in the new suburbs and they all have similar finish and wood fences.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard yes you may have a point there about the angle that the photo's been taken at but until we can see a pic of the bridge from dead on side view well' have to wait an see
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi all, yeah I didn't know the measurements of that arch so had to make a guess, I rather have a wider arch because of the main span being so long, tomorrow I be cutting the side beams out of 12 mm ply, would love the side to be one full length, would cost a lot of money and getting the timber the right height of 2 1/2 inches high.

Also the side beam will be 24 mm's thick will need to buy more ply, will be drilling holes down the middle off the arch height, hope I will have a drill bit long enough for the hangers if that is what they are called.

Simon I did look at modelling Sydney harbour, the top of the arch is 3 feet to scale too high and too much work , yeah you will have to wait till tomorrow, my arch is 2 foot off the main deck, the Story bridge in Brisbane is only 18 inches to the main tower.

I hate digital cameras, as they intend through the photo out, you are taking the pic, wide I should of used wide angle

Tony.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Tony,

are you only using the photo as a general idea rather than copying it?

I ask that because the proportions of your side beams do not appear to match those of the photo, the real thing being much more arched

the real bridge has a tall arch and half bridge width looks approx. 1.5 times the radius of the arch centre line (so overall width to height approx. 3:1) whereas yours looks to have a half width of around 3.5 times the centre radius or width to height of around 7:1

Hi Simon , I see you are into Star Wars have all the movies.

Tony