Tm'osdell HO scale garden railway

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Thanks Tony.
Looking good, most impressive. Bring on that bridge.
:thumb2:

Hi Paul, those long waiting bridge pics are on a new Bridge construction thread, a lot of work still ahead, sadly some sagging needing strengthening.

Won't be back working on the bridge till Wednesday .

Tony

Reactions: JR
First Name
Martin
Hi all, I am not sure where to put this new thread, stuck it in General Train chat, I will be also starting a thread in layouts, this bridge is part of my layout, be starting soon a new thread in layouts as I am planning a large layout out side in HO scale in module form, where I live it gets too hot in summer 43 degrees can go for a whole week , ply won't last.

The bridge will also have a road bridge beside it at a latter date , main span 14 feet will have an 2 foot high arch above the track deck, yesterday I finished cutting the arch sides and joined them together, very happy when I sat the arch onto the patio, water line Clarence is 2 feet , the second ship will be a UK channel ferry and down the track a cruise ship .

Here are three pics , still a lot of work have to finish cutting the second arch pieces that will make the thickness of the arch 24 mm, the arch it's self is 1 inch and a half high .

View attachment 381108View attachment 381109View attachment 381110View attachment 381111
View attachment 381109

The first pic is what I am basing the bridge on is a Russian design , I may add the middle beam like in the pic, a lot more work, will see how it turns out. If you are wondering why so big, I am modelling a shipping channel and will have a Ro, Ro Port , build the railway first.

Tony on a high , from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony

Yes the bridge will, can only work after mad-day once the grass drys out heavy due.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Latest update pics on the bridge construction which is starting to look like a bridge, very happy with the arch the way it is turning out, wow can't wait to run a train over the bridge, that will take some time though, working on my own.

20200617_153412.jpg

I set up a jig to hold the arch in place and in the centre of the bridge for when I mark and drill the holes for the round dowel hangers.

20200617_153433.jpg

Second pic showing the arch side on how it will look when the other side is in place and screwed together.

20200617_153818.jpg

Next pic with the clamps off , was surprised that the arch fitted perfectly , very happy indeed , bottom pic of the bridge scene I am basing my bridge on , yes do have those two locos and plan to model the boat ramp, the road bridge will be a four lane bridge to handle the port traffic too.

Looks like I be conning my wife for a while to by B-double semi trailers buses, cars and small pleasure boats., with cars and trailers on the boat ramp, other side of the bridge will have the sea plane water bomber base with control tower .

763628672_ElizaberthRiverbridgefirstGhancrossingaA.jpg.f1dc0b42eab76df9c14ad4d58e13378a.jpg

Enjoy Tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tony

Just caught up on this. All in all a great start. Can only imagine what this will look like when finished!!

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HELLO Tony yes I aggree with Andrew its lookin great an did you say this bridge will come into two parts for storage ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Tony

Just caught up on this. All in all a great start. Can only imagine what this will look like when finished!!

ATB

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I hope this design will work, only way to find out, arch hangers be a foot apart and with the joining of the two arches on an angle will help.

I have tried a few bridges now, cable stay was one, only problem needed 7 feet either side of the pier towers, this arch design doesn't, but the piers are pretty big , 6 inches wide .

Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HELLO Tony yes I aggree with Andrew its lookin great an did you say this bridge will come into two parts for storage ?
chris

Hi Chris, yeah be awesome when built and painted gray, no she is in one full piece 14 feet in length, not sure if anyone has attempted to build a bridge with the length span, I store it in the garage fits ok, will start using the trolley to move the bridge , might be easier to pick up in the middle once the bridge is finished.

Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, yeah be awesome when built and painted gray, no she is in one full piece 14 feet in length, not sure if anyone has attempted to build a bridge with the length span, I store it in the garage fits ok, will start using the trolley to move the bridge , might be easier to pick up in the middle once the bridge is finished.

Tony
OK Tony
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
At long last the arch is in place and doing its job to my big surprise , on a big high, the middle support post wont be be there once the arch hangers are in place, very happy it worked, a very heavy bridge to pick up on my own and carry up to the garage, next job is to modify the trolley so I can move it on my own.

Second job is to modify the piers to make them higher from 19 inches to 2 feet clearance, a break off the bridge making a start on the layout track laying got 5 modules, can't wait new track plan .20200627_160941.jpg

The piers be 6 inches wide and length to take the road deck later, it has being 4 bridge builds to finely something working, painting the bridge gray be steps on the side of the arch, probable one side.

20200627_161058.jpg

At the end of the bridge will have to figure a different way for the next lot of decking to join the bridge, I have a special system on joining the decking together so the track will line up every time.

Tony from down under on a high

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
At long last the arch is in place and doing its job to my big surprise , on a big high, the middle support post wont be be there once the arch hangers are in place, very happy it worked, a very heavy bridge to pick up on my own and carry up to the garage, next job is to modify the trolley so I can move it on my own.

Second job is to modify the piers to make them higher from 19 inches to 2 feet clearance, a break off the bridge making a start on the layout track laying got 5 modules, can't wait new track plan .View attachment 390946

The piers be 6 inches wide and length to take the road deck later, it has being 4 bridge builds to finely something working, painting the bridge gray be steps on the side of the arch, probable one side.

View attachment 390947

At the end of the bridge will have to figure a different way for the next lot of decking to join the bridge, I have a special system on joining the decking together so the track will line up every time.

Tony from down under on a high
HI Tony wow your bridge is comin on an it looks specktackular lookin forward to seein train crossin it a lot of work there i reckon
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony wow your bridge is comin on an it looks specktackular lookin forward to seein train crossin it a lot of work there i reckon
chris
Hi Chris, thanks,yeah it will be a big day indeed will be taking a video of the big event, long time coming .

Couldn't buy the sheet of ply today will have to wait a few days to Bunning get their saw fixed not in a hurry.

How are you going , take care Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I stuck the bridge pics in the wrong folder, too late now, back to layout construction is now well under way, I have also come up with two track plan stages firts stage with out the bridge and second with and longer .

The new plan is continuous running from platform to platform track, with the smaller layout will have more running length and lots of shunting, the will be a bridge station complex with 6 platforms and two tracks for freight trains, yesterday I modified the first module and started laying down the track, the wire madness be no more , have pulled out all the bus wire. as in the first pic

20200703_153909.jpg20200703_220350.jpg

The next pic the track plan, I looking ad widening the the island platform wide enough to make room for the auto carriers wagons to be unloaded and loaded, enough room fore the cars to turn around to drive out to car park.

20200704_152807.jpg

Last pic of how the next layout will line to the tracks every time, a bit more work though, may use those bolts that are used for adjustable table legs .

20200704_152833.jpg

Will go down to the shed and lay down more track, then the big job in making up bus wire harness, all goes well use the harnesses from the older track plan, better bus wire planning be easier for any issues.

Tony from cold down under -2 earlier this mornng.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Track laying is well under way, finished the triple track and started on the double track and motor rail siding dock, I have decided not to continue the platform past the loading dock ramp so I can give the ramp a bigger radius curve and more room for car parking, very happy on how the loading dock planning is working, can't wait to start construction. Have to figure out how I will build the platforms, so many different ways, solid ply make the module too heavy to pick up.

20200707_160005.jpg

The very first wagon on the layout, I am looking at scratch building my own motor rail wagons as this wagon a Lima and too light, can't have it up the front of my Indian Pacific derails all the time but ok at the end of the train

20200707_160024.jpg

I could go either way and have the loading dock level with the platform as in the pic would make it easier to load on buses, yeah that could be the way to go, the ramp be easy to construct and slide out the way to access the lower deck .

wpa422c998_05_06  a.jpg

Three more station modules to go, I have a special way on how to hold the track down, will show how soon , also the bus wiring be next issue

Tony on a high from cool down under.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice progress. Are you familiar w/formula for weighting rolling stock (HO is initial weight plus 1/2 ounce per inch of length)? Almost all garages now use stick on wheel weights to balance wheel/tire assemblies. They'll have a bucketful of takeoffs they can't reuse. You can cut these up to fit wherever you have space on the car or in the load on/in it to achieve the proper weight. Once done to your fleet you'll be amazed at the difference. Just remember the center of gravity counts, so keep the weight as low to the rails as possible. BTW there is a model of that loading ramp available in HO. Check your local importer. HTH. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice progress. Are you familiar w/formula for weighting rolling stock (HO is initial weight plus 1/2 ounce per inch of length)? Almost all garages now use stick on wheel weights to balance wheel/tire assemblies. They'll have a bucketful of takeoffs they can't reuse. You can cut these up to fit wherever you have space on the car or in the load on/in it to achieve the proper weight. Once done to your fleet you'll be amazed at the difference. Just remember the center of gravity counts, so keep the weight as low to the rails as possible. BTW there is a model of that loading ramp available in HO. Check your local importer. HTH. PaulE
WELL Tony with PaulE advice your railway is off to a flying start great stuff lets see more pics
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tony,
nice up date, all coming together, agree with Chris re Paul's advice.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As Paul suggested adding weight in a low C/G area will held keep your cars from derailing but will also reduce the unsightly wobble effect noticed during operation of cars that are under weight. If you still experience derailment after adding weight check your trucks for proper guage or if nothing else sometimes swapping them out for an aftermarket set helps solve the problem as well. Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick, I'd forgotten as I had added metal wheel sets to most of my rolling stock long ago. Also sometimes moving couplers to the body will help the wobbles if they are truck mounted originally. PaulE