To backflush or not to backflush - That is the question.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have just bought a H&S Infinity and was looking at various You-tube videos on maintenance/cleaning etc. Quite a few showed the tip being pinched and the airbrush back flushed. Now I have heard of this before but have never done it with either my Iwata or my cheap Chinese one. The reason is that to my mind you are forcing water/solvent/ cleaner or whatever passed seals and I'm worried the seals could be damaged.
What I would like to know is "Do you backflush your AB?", also "Does it work?" and "Does it do any damage?"
I would value your views. I have looked through the threads in the airbrush forum but could not find any relevant info.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Jim,
I’ve used my Iwata revolution for about 9 yrs now and have always cleaned through with the blowback/backflush trick.
My airbrush has no seals between nozzle and paint cup, it’s just a friction fit between needle and needle cap so no fear of popping a seal.
Not familiar with your H&S so don’t quote me:upside:.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No is the answer Jim. as you know I have the same model .
John.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive always back flushed with all my airbrushes over the years............except for my azteks as they are a diffrent design and it says not to in he manual

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have an Iwata Revolution CR and i always backflush. Best way to ensure you get all the big particles out first.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I used to backflush, but I haven't done it for several years - it puts pressure on the needle 'o' ring, which in use only has the paint & possibly a slight vacuum on it. Either way, I always clean my airbrush rigorously, and the only problems I suffer are through the paint alone. It's better to make sure the paint is lump free! I now do this by never putting paint directly into the a/b cup from the bottle - I dispense it into a plastic shot glass, and check the consistency and smoothness visually & with a paint brush. Take a look around, and in, the nozzles/caps of your paint containers, and you'll see potential blockages!
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Jim

A few years back i paid for airbrush course, which was excellent i have always followed the cleaning routine shown and had any problem. It does not include backflushing

Would you like a copy of it?

Bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve never backfkushed my Iwatta. I have fitted a quick release for the needle and can withdraw the needle from the back of the brush body and do a full strip and clean In about five minutes. I have always thought backflushing just pushes any trapped particles back into the body of the brush to be driven towards and caught again next time the brush is used the correct way. It can perhaps be handy to clear a blockage during use, but not as part of a proper cleaning regime.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts - much appreciated.
No conclusive answer but lots of info. Food for thought. Like so much in this hobby there are as many approaches as there are modellers. Personally I value this as it makes the hobby and the forum so much more interesting.
Thanks again guys.
Jim
Bob - pm sent

R

Robo

I agree with Dave and Tim that if you backflush your pushing paint and debris back down the barrel of the airbrush to collect around the needle bush and so cause resistance to the needle movement.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Will do, my pleasure

Bob
Bob.I think we all would like to see it, suppose its copyrighted to stop it being published openly :disappointed:
John.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
No its mine John but any donations to the new Stug book always welcome

• Haha

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Chaps this my cleaning routine, works for me

AIRBRUSH CLEANING​

1. Drain excess paint out of cup.​

2. Submerge AB in bucket*, filled with clean water, flush through in bucket while ‘using’ the brush as if you where spraying. Use an old brush to help to excess clean paint out of cup. Continue to flush and then spray onto tissue until only water is sprayed onto it, no paint residue.​

1. *I use an ‘x’ Haribo sweet plastic bucket, ideal for cleaning use; of course I eat the sweets first!!​

2. Add Medea AB cleaner into the cup then spray into a cleaning pot, the stuffs not good for you!​

3. Spray AB cleaning foamer into the cup and leave to rise, you will see paint on the foam as its cleaned off the walls of the pot, spray/wash out with water into cleaning pot.​

4. Remove needle, clean on tissue with Medea, put needle safe!
  5. Remove nozzle and clean with cotton bud with Medea

6. Refit nozzle, lube needle with Iwata ‘superlube’ gently replace into the brushes body and secure with grub screw, make sure the needle moves when button is pressed, check the pot and flush again with Medea if required.
  7. Blow the airbrush onto tissue until liquid stops.

On a 3 month basis, clean in sonic cleaner
bob

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Bob, I do pretty much, except drop half of it on the floor. Definitely agree on the sonic cleaner.

what is No 3 AB cleaning foamer ? by the way .
Thanks for posting.
John.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
My pleasure John, glad to help

Its Premi air foamer. Shake can, spray into paint pot stand back and watch as the foam rises out of the pot bringing paint particles with it. Wash out with water

Bob

R

Robo

My Badger 150 uses 3 needles, the smallest of which is a 0.25, the only time I remove that needle is when the airbrush is not performing at its best. The point on that needle only has to be touched the wrong way and its bent, you have to be so careful when handling it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Too true robo, alway take my time and with a steady hand when any where near the needle! Only play with a layer of kitchen roll underneath the brush