To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am considering getting a new airbrush.
The local pushers here are Iwata or H&S.
I want one that can fine line and cover large areas, either with the same or changeable needles and or nozzles.
I'm not after the most expensive either, just something that will last, is easy to stripdown and clean.

What say the mob?
Mini reviews are more than welcome.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have an Iwata Revolution CR but i personally think it's a total pain to clean. Sprays very nicely and is great for fine detailing like Luftwaffe mottling. For a much more cover of large areas i have a cheap Chinese 0.5mm airbrush.

I've read that the H&S airbrushes are far easier to clean.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have an Iawata eclipse and a H&S both have 0.3 needle and I find they are both good enough for my needs with good coverage and with the needle shroud removed capable of fine lines.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have an Iwata Revolution BR and a top of the range H&S Infinity CR+ 2 in 1. The Iwata was much cheaper but in my opinion is the better of the two. The H&S is easier to take apart but the Iwata is no problem either. The Iwata seems better made. The Iwata has a 0.3 nozzle and the H&S has a 0.2 and a 0.4. I have had the Iwata for close to 15 years and it has never let me down and it has had everything through it - acrylics, enamels and lacquers. Original needle, nozzle and seals. The H&S is about 5 years old and is also as bought although it has had far less use.
Just my experiences.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I find my H&S Ultra is a doddle to clean and swap needles no tools needed. Phil Flory does a nice review here showing how easy it is:

He tests the spray and gets both thin lines and area coverage.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
H & S Infinity here too. Very easy to strip - easier than the Chinese cheapos as you don't need a tool for the nozzle.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have an Iwatta eclipse side feed. It is a great brush and can be stripped and cleaned in minutes. 0.35 nozz goes as fine as you like, but can cover wider areas when required. I hot rodded mine as described here..
It is robust and has no tiny o rings to lose. Hot rodded as it is I can draw the needle straight out the back by simply turning the locking nut.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not an expert as am still learning but I have a Sparmax Max 0.4 if you can get them, well under £100 here plus parts are very cheap compared to Iwata.....I recently spent £25 on a 0.3 needle and nozzle for flexibility. I can get surprisingly fine lines even with a 0.4. they also go down to 0.2.

However, I know Tim Marlow swears by his Iwata Eclipse SBS, it's a 0.3mm side load and I think can you buy additional/larger cups for quick paint changes, plus it doesn't have one of those delicate nozzles to break easily. See below.

ATB.

Andrew

Thread 'Hot rod Iwatta airbrush' https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/hot-rod-iwatta-airbrush.37841/

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have an Iwatta eclipse side feed. It is a great brush and can be stripped and cleaned in minutes. 0.35 nozz goes as fine as you like, but can cover wider areas when required. I hot rodded mine as described here..
It is robust and has no tiny o rings to lose. Hot rodded as it is I can draw the needle straight out the back by simply turning the locking nut.
You just beat me to it!!!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I have a H&S (Evolution I think?) and have zero complaints. Easy to use, easy to strip and clean, easy to change between 0.4 and 0.2.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've had both Ian an Iawata Neo and H&S ultra and the Infinity .

H&S easy to clean and with the Infinity came the choice of needle and nozzle .The new needles and nozzles are marked so as to save mixing . Something that caused me no end of trouble before they were clearly identifiable.

Iawata Neo cheaper but the nozzle is so small and needs a spanner to change.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

My nozzle on my Iwata Revolution CR needs a spanner to remove/replace/change it too. I think that is the way that Iwata went with all their airbrushes.

If i'm honest, i'm thinking of saving up for a H&S Infinity. It would cover all the bases for my spraying with one brush.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've had both Ian an Iawata Neo and H&S ultra and the Infinity .

H&S easy to clean and with the Infinity came the choice of needle and nozzle .The new needles and nozzles are marked so as to save mixing . Something that caused me no end of trouble before they were clearly identifiable.

My nozzle on my Iwata Revolution CR needs a spanner to remove/replace/change it too. I think that is the way that Iwata went with all their airbrushes.

If i'm honest, i'm thinking of saving up for a H&S Infinity. It would cover all the bases for my spraying with one brush.

I have a Tamiya SuperFine but the main components are all Iwata and have the same small nozzle.... Overcooked it in the early days and so had to by a replacement.

Tim's Eclipse from what I have seen seems to be the only Iwata that doesn't use that system. My Sparmax uses the same system as Iwata.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mine does come with a spanner to undo the nozzle nut Alan, but I find it works perfectly OK if just hand tightened. It has a sealing O ring which helps. The nozzle itself is tapered and self centering. The big advantage of mine over others I looked at is the easy access you have to the paint path. It really is exceptionally easy to clean.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Lots of replies but although I'm sure you're a bit wiser I reckon it's still down to "You pays your money and takes your choice." :smiling:
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
At the moment I am leaning toward the H&S 2in1 jobby.
I Have a couple of Badger airbrushes, both good but the seals are knackered and Nowhere here to replace them. (not a DIY job it seems).
I also have a couple of Sparmax. which I am using at the moment.
Hate the fact that I need tools to clean it. Also both the nozzles are past service life. One of them leaks as well. evident by the compressor starting up when not being used and the bubble foam in the crown while and after cleaning.
So I might just have no way around it.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
At the moment I am leaning toward the H&S 2in1 jobby.

I also have a couple of Sparmax. which I am using at the moment.
Hate the fact that I need tools to clean it. Also both the nozzles are past service life. One of them leaks as well. evident by the compressor starting up when not being used and the bubble foam in the crown while and after cleaning.
Ian

I get that bubbling too sometimes with my Sparmax I get round it with a bit of PTFE tape or bees wax. Not ideal though but didn't want to fork out a huge about of money on something when I first got an AB.

Will be very interested to hear how you go if you go down the H&S route.

The video Dave shared shows it does seem easier clean, in fact Tim's Iwata uses a similar nozzle system to H&S.

Good luck with your hunt.

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Noel
Ian you can get Badger spares in the UK. Try Badger UK and this should find the distributor.
Have you thought about Badger themselves in Franklyn Illinois USA for your spares? They are still going strong!
I was looking on their own website only last week for parts for my 100XF airbrush dating back to the seventies. And had what I wanted for it.
They have a comprehensive list of spares on their site

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian you can get Badger spares in the UK. Try Badger UK and this should find the distributor.
Have you thought about Badger themselves in Franklyn Illinois USA for your spares? They are still going strong!
I was looking on their own website only last week for parts for my 100XF airbrush dating back to the seventies. And had what I wanted for it.
They have a comprehensive list of spares on their site
All the places I found say 'the unit must be sent to an authorised repair centre ' to have the seals changed. Sending it to the US or the UK for that matter ain't going to happen.