To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
What seals Ian?...my Badger 150 workhorse uses teflon seals since the early times and are solid. Haven't changed them except one at the nozzle and that came with needle nozzle tip.
The 150 has 3 interchangeable nozzles...fine, medium and heavy duty. Have had it for over forty years...value for money.
I feel the newer airbrushes are just too precision that they aren't as robust for our kind of work perhaps more suited for design and artwork.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Noel
Ian, did you not look on the Badger Factory's own site in the states for spares?
The seals are easy enough to change. If you can strip down an airbrush for routine maintenance replacing the seals will also be a doddle.
Ignore the 'unit must be sent to an authorised repair centre' to have the seals changed.
All that will happen is that someone in a repair centre hawking for repair work with no more ability than yourself will do the job and heftily charge you for it!
I think that the seals are made from Teflon or something similar. Just get on to the Badger site in Franklyn and look down their spares list.
I would be surprised if seals were not listed as spares to buy like all their other spare parts.

First Name
Noel
Well that surprises me. I will have to take another look.
Would have thought that Teflon seals could be bought like any other spare from Badger.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
On a slightly different point, having had a two, or was it three, week wait due to customs not sure that I ever want to shop outside the EU again! The other reasons for a change. Spares are not to readily available here in Denmark. H&S and iwata are very popular here and thus more spare part stocks.

First Name
Noel
Back in the day it was Badger and Paasche that were the favoured brands.
Iwata and H&S were a bit later in coming to the modelling market. Both make very good airbrushes. I would imagine that H&S being German made and within the EU would be a very good option.
There is a company in the UK named DeVilbiss who made the Aerograph range of high quality airbrushes, but they appear to have stopped making them in favour of concentrating on their main industrial spray equipment.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So, had a quick look through, apologies in advance if this has been asked.
I'm at the point of ready to purchase a new airbrush and I've settled on the h & s infinity cr plus but what I'd like help with is should I go with the 2 in 1 kit? Has anyone got a real benefit out of the two needles, point is (excuse the pun) I have a iwata neo which was bought relatively cheap as a present and it's absolutely blinding and I use it for priming and bass coats ect?
Any help would be appreciated as always, attached is a picture of my neo which again I cant recommend enough 20220624_193442.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you like the Iwatta so much Phil, why not go for something higher in their range? Eclipse perhaps?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I bought the Infinity 2 in 1 kit, but I seem to do everything with the 0,2mm needle.
Pete

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
If you like the Iwatta so much Phil, why not go for something higher in their range? Eclipse perhaps?
To be fair Tim I'm getting rid of a iwata hp-ch just because I've never really got on with it, it's been a bloody pain in the backside, think I paid around £180 for it and it's caused more problems than my neo and old h & s put together, it was recommended to me strongly and it's definitely a lovely tool but it's a bit like Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, on paper lovely real life, just not working

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I bought the Infinity 2 in 1 kit, but I seem to do everything with the 0,2mm needle.
Pete
That's interesting Pete, is ot because like me you have another ab for bigger coats and only use the cr for detail? Or do you use the 0.2 for everything?

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have the iwata eclipse hp Cs 3.5 works really well for me, also I have a .5 trigger action for larger areas from bartsharp that was about 35 quid which is very good for the money but tend to just use the iwata for everything now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
There are regular threads on airbrushes and one thing becomes clear when reading through them and that is that there is no real consensus of opinion on which is "best". The model which is the 'go to' for one modeller is not liked by another. Personally I think it is a question of buying something reasonably decent, learning how to keep it clean and really getting to grips with paint dilution, spraying distance and air pressure. And above all practice, practice and practice some more.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I had a 2in1, in fact I have had a few but never really swapped needles. Instead I had two, each with a different sized needle.

Much as I love the Infinity and like the Neo, I have to say that my GSI Creos Ps 275 is the best airbrush I have ever had. Partly because of its refined nature but also the pistol grip, a great combination.

I have an Infinity set up with a .2 needle ostensibly for fine work but, quite frankly, I rarely use it and use the 275 instead.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's interesting Pete, is ot because like me you have another ab for bigger coats and only use the cr for detail? Or do you use the 0.2 for everything?
I use the 0,2 for everything Phil. I also have a couple of the Chinese airbrushes from the Scale Model Shop, but I found them tricky to clean.
Pete

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Take a look at the Mr Hobby proconboy air brushes same stable as what Barry's mentioned i think I use 0.2 never had a problem also use a 0.3 sparmax great little airbrush both capable of fine line and wide spread all my other brushes are sub 30 quid wich I use as much if not more than the expensive ones .
I will add I dont have this strange obsession of stripping down my brushes just because I looked at them , to clean I flush them through with mr hobby tool cleaner occasionally I'll pull the needle out the back and polish it but thats about it.
Finally just to increase my popularity i dont care who's airbrush you use top dollar or budget or bottom dollar fifteen quid specials if you haven't thinned your paint and set your air pressure correctly you might just as well be spitting against the wind get thoes two right and even the cheapo ones do a perfectly respectable job.
At the end of the day its your choice as I said I enjoy my cheap ones as much as the expensive ones enjoy being the object of the whole prosses I dont care about stripping down and all that if it ain't broke why keep taking apart and fiddling , flush it through and bash on with the next one but please without paint and pressure they won't do what it says on the box.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Take a look at the Mr Hobby proconboy air brushes same stable as what Barry's mentioned i think I use 0.2 never had a problem also use a 0.3 sparmax great little airbrush both capable of fine line and wide spread all my other brushes are sub 30 quid wich I use as much if not more than the expensive ones .
I will add I dont have this strange obsession of stripping down my brushes just because I looked at them , to clean I flush them through with mr hobby tool cleaner occasionally I'll pull the needle out the back and polish it but thats about it.
Finally just to increase my popularity i dont care who's airbrush you use top dollar or budget or bottom dollar fifteen quid specials if you haven't thinned your paint and set your air pressure correctly you might just as well be spitting against the wind get thoes two right and even the cheapo ones do a perfectly respectable job.
At the end of the day its your choice as I said I enjoy my cheap ones as much as the expensive ones enjoy being the object of the whole prosses I dont care about stripping down and all that if it ain't broke why keep taking apart and fiddling , flush it through and bash on with the next one but please without paint and pressure they won't do what it says on the box.
I have to agree with David L - the price of the airbrush is largely immaterial, the paint mix & air pressure is important , but practice with a particular brush, learning it limitations is just as important! I have an Iwata Neo CN, but these days I find myself using a generic Chines 0.3mm a/b more than the Iwata - it somehow handles better............ I can buy spare nozzles/needles for it, for not a lot. OK, the build quality may not be as good & long term durability may be limited BUT , an airbrush's purpose is to lay down paint, you don't gain brownie points for using a H&S brush, or get a better finish!
I use acrylics exclusively, if I used enamels, I might have a different opinion. I never use any solvent, or even IPA to clean my a/b, just warm washing up liquid ( also in my ultrasonic cleaner ).
An expensive airbrush is very nice to have ( like a BMW over a Ford Focus ), but in the end you both end up at the same destination!
Dave
ps I wonder I Vincent Van Goch used the most expensive paintbrushes?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think all of this condenses to a couple of points.
  • Most modellers use an airbrush as a spray gun at least 99% of the time. Virtually all airbrushes can lay down an even coat of paint so pretty much all airbrushes cover this aspect.
  • Practice (finding out what it can and can’t do) and usage (experience) are required to fully understand the airbrush process and to get the best out of what you have. Until you have nailed that aspect, then expecting a more expensive or “better” brush to give you better results is simply not going to happen..
  • The better quality the brush the better the fit and finish. This will make the brush trigger smoother in use and the brush more effective at atomising paint.
  • The point above will make extremes of use, such as very fine lines and very low paint flows, more reliably achieved with a better quality airbrush.
  • Unless you are one of the very few truly artistic modellers you will probably never use the advanced abilities of a high end airbrush.
  • The quality of the air being delivered (pulse free with consistent airflow and precise pressure measurement) will impact the performance of the airbrush more than you think.
  • What works for you will not necessarily work for someone else.
  • We all like something new, so ignore all of the above and buy and use what you want :tongue-out3:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As both Tim and I have said its your choice ,also hope others reading this or thoes just setting out on the quest for airbrush heaven realise at the end of the day its not the airbrush its what the man does with it ,you can buy the best golf clubs but they won't necessarily improve your game , I do a lot of coarse fishing doesn't matter what or who's tackle I buy and use its still called fishing not catching.
I accept there is a difference between top and bottom range airbrushes but and this is the last time I'll say it then I'll get my coat unless paint is correctly thinned and air pressure is bang on you will find yourself spitting against the wind get thoes two factors correct and any air brush will give you satisfactory results .
Honest I'm gone now Dave