Tommy1drops Dragon Jagdpanzer iv L/48 early

T

tommy1drop

Thanks lads, really happy to have you along, and also glad that you like it.

T

tommy1drop

Just a small update on the bulldozer, I have managed to get one side of the tracks built and fitted to the dozer, I have to mention that even though these tracks are fairly simple to put together, I did encounter a few problems with them.

This being that they are supposed to be workable tracks, for me I can honestly say that I could never see these being workable, the problem being that they pop together so that you can make sections of them, for me they seemed to pop open at every opportunity, especially when fitting them to the running gearAlso they are not great for people with fat fingers :sad:  

I found this out no end of times, anyway saying that, I've built the first side, so the other side should be easier....right O.o

FB_IMG_1468861376203.jpg

FB_IMG_1468861354998.jpg

FB_IMG_1468861446200.jpg

FB_IMG_1468861429920.jpg

FB_IMG_1468861408836.jpg

D

dubster72

I think the problem with most 'workable' tracks is in that word Tom - mostly it's just another way to describe individual link tracks 9_9

Still, looks like you tamed the beast & they're gonna look great once painted.

How does the dozer fit in with the Jagdpanzer?

T

tommy1drop

Hi Patrick thanks for that, glad you like it mate, I was going to put the dozer pushing the Jagdpanzer off the road, either into a ditch or into a bomb crater, I'm deciding now if I should distress the Jagdpanzer a little, to make it look as if it's brewed up after being shot up ;)  

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Tommy,like the tracks,and there turned out well, :D

D

dubster72

Hi Patrick thanks for that, glad you like it mate, I was going to put the dozer pushing the Jagdpanzer off the road, either into a ditch or into a bomb crater, I'm deciding now if I should distress the Jagdpanzer a little, to make it look as if it's brewed up after being shot up ;)  

That's a nice idea, although I'd doubt the dozer would be able to move a 25 tonne Jagdpanzer! 

The power of the bulldozer is less of a factor than its weight - only some 15 tonnes. More likely any such operations would be done with an M32 recovery vehicle.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica

oh lol,I was thinking the same ,that,s a strange look tank, O.o ,so glad that you have sorted it, :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's a nice idea, although I'd doubt the dozer would be able to move a 25 tonne Jagdpanzer! 

The power of the bulldozer is less of a factor than its weight - only some 15 tonnes. More likely any such operations would be done with an M32 recovery vehicle.

Tommy's idea of the wreck being pushed into a ditch is sound. The dozer would not be expected to lift the full weight of the tank, but rather by using a sort of pivotal action about the tank track axis nearest the ditch, and with it's huge power available, the dozer could quite easily push the vehicle into the ditch, whatever....even flip it over!

Operating dozers is not always about brute force, but rather using the object to be moved position and circumstance to the driver's advantage.

That almost reads like I know what I'm writing about!  ;)

P1150732.JPG

P1150733.JPG

I hope the above is of some use.

Cheers,

Ron

D

dubster72

Fair enough if that's what the consensus of opinion is, but with regard to the photos that Ron posted

1) the snowy (Ardennes?) one, the tank is quite clearly in the background nowhere near the bulldozer.

2) the one with the King Tiger is posed IMHO. Looking at the ground to the side of the KTs track shows no disturbance of the earth. No way you're gonna convince me that a 68 tonne tank can be pushed sideways without ripping up the ground! 

I could see a bulldozer pulling a tank,but not pushing it. But it's not my build, so I'm done.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I ain't getting into a protracted discussion as to whether or not a picture is 'stage managed' My point was to try and explain that it is possible to move or tip a heavy inanimate object, using it's own weight, to the dozer driver's advantage.

Also, if the tank in the first picture is " quite clearly in the background nowhere near the bulldozer." why is the dozer's shadow directly under the tank's belly?

I would suggest the lift hasn't commenced in the second picture. The driver wouldn't try and push the heavy tank, but rather try and flip it first. That way there would be far less resistance from the tracks scraping across the road and the tank would not be a dead weight, but as explained earlier would be on a kind of pivot.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, it's Tommy's build. So he can have half a dozen G.I's lifting the wreck if he wants........"The hell we could!"

That's me I'm done too. :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tommy1drop

Thanks lads, but I didn't think that building something like this, would bring about a debate on whether or not the dozer, could push a jagdpanzer into a ditch/bomb crater :sad:

I'm going to be having fun building it all the same :D

T

tommy1drop

NHi Paul thanks for that mate, glad you like it ;)

Managed to get a little more done on the dozer, still not finished, more pe to add and one or two other bits and bobs, I'm really liking how this is turning out, nice little kit, sure it's been a little tricky in some places of it's build, but it really is worth it, I've got a Miniart version in the stash 9_9

I'm now thinking of that one, and what scene I can put it in :D

FB_IMG_1469360167395.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360150048.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360138613.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360127228.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360108529.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360092098.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360083249.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360119294.jpg

FB_IMG_1469360083249.jpg

monica